Urgen Question - Ice Melt Compounds...

divingfiji

My new tub is getting delivered in about 4 hours!!! Woo hoo!! However, I live NW of Chicago, and we just got dumped on with snow. I shoveled the new cement patio (and the yard <_< ) to prep for delivery. I also sprinkled Prestone Ice Melt stuff on the patio. A friend told me that will be bad for the tub (corrosion issues on pumps etc), and that I should hose it off prior to tub delivery.

Comments on this? I'm leaving work at noon to await delivery, and need to know if I should hurry and hose down the patio first... That should be fun as temps are in the upper teens now....

Thanks in advance! :D

Sandra

What type of spa did you buy? Mine is completely sealed off on the bottom, so I'm not sure how it would get to the pumps to corrode them. Now, could it corrode the bottom surface of the tub? Maybe a quick call to your dealer. Surely in your climate, they've dealt with this issue before. Good Luck and congrats on the new spa!

I don't know if I would hose it off, but definitely sweep it away before you place the tub. I don't think it would damage anything, but once it's squished between the concrete and the bottom of the tub, who knows what could happen. Better safe than sorry IMO. But I wouldn't hose the area down. If the water freezes, the guys installing the tub could slip and get injured.

Thanks for the input. The tub is Hot Springs Envoy, and I do believe it is sealed on the bottom. I did sweep the patio before I left for work this morning. I'll give it another sweep when I get home at lunch before they place the tub... just to be sure. Yes, who knows what could happen when the "salt" is squished between the cement and the tub. I will also call the dealer and inquire.

Thanks again! :)

A quick update. I called the dealer, the tub is completely sealed on the bottom and the "ice melt" will not harm it at all. None-the-less, I will still give the patio an extra sweeping when I get home. My sister and brother-in-law are ready with a new bottle of bubbly to celebrate tommorrow with me night! :P I'm so glad I stumbled on to this forum about a month ago. A lot of great unbiased information is shared here with very knowledgeable tubbers! Thanks to all!

Keep up the Great job!! :D