Start Up Kit?

ivieisme

What does a typical chlorine start up kit contain? Mine had 3 things--A spa frog, Chlorine granules and oxidizer (shock???). I asked for some test strips (insta-test) from the delivery guys. They say they will come back for fire up, but gave me instructions anyway. A capful of chlorine to start, then a cap of oxidizer to start and after each soak. Replace frog every 3-4 months. Thats it.

If that's all they do, what do I need them for?

Is this oxidizer the same as shock?

Shouldn't I have other stuff like ph up and down? When do I use the strips, how often?

2 adults, a 10 year old boy and a 2 year old boy in a Caldera Niagra (comes with ozone)

Boy, I haven't a clue.

Electrician comes first thing in the morning, will be filling by tomorrow afternoon, and I don't want to screw up my water right from the start. :unsure:

What does a typical chlorine start up kit contain? Mine had 3 things--A spa frog, Chlorine granules and oxidizer (shock???). I asked for some test strips (insta-test) from the delivery guys. They say they will come back for fire up, but gave me instructions anyway. A capful of chlorine to start, then a cap of oxidizer to start and after each soak. Replace frog every 3-4 months. Thats it.

Shouldn't I have other stuff like ph up and down? When do I use the strips, how often?

2 adults, a 10 year old boy and a 2 year old boy in a Caldera Niagra (comes with ozone)

Boy, I haven't a clue.

Electrician comes first thing in the morning, will be filling by tomorrow afternoon, and I don't want to screw up my water right from the start. :unsure:

'ivieisme', you may need PH up or down if your PH is out of range when you test the water after filling the tub. What kit did you get with the tub? My kit was from Leisure Time. It had other chemicals in addition to the sanitizer and the spa UP and down (same thing as PH). It had foam down, and a polish that your suppose to polish the tub with before filling it. There was a clarifier called bright and clear and metal stuff (the name escapes me) among other things. :lol:

My start up kit came with all kinds of stuff. I probably can't remember some of the things. I know I got dichlor, ph up, ph down, metal gone, clarifier, defender, spa gloss, cover wipes, fragrance sample, mps shock, and a fragrance sample. You might want to read threads in the water chemistry section. I think most people suggest dichlor after each soak and not mps(oxidizer). I used my strips often in the beginning to get the hang of things. Now I only use them once a week. People use the term shock both for oxidizer and sanitizer. The reason we use dichlor after each soak is to kill the nasties asap. They are suggesting using oxidizer because of your mineral cartridge. There's alot of debate about wether that's enough. Silver is supposedly a slow killer and that's why people like the fast kill of the dichlor after a soak. Welcome to the wacky world of spa care. Good Luck.

Boy, I haven't a clue.

'ivieisme', you may need PH up or down if your PH is out of range when you test the water after filling the tub. What kit did you get with the tub? My kit was from Leisure Time. It had other chemicals in addition to the sanitizer and the spa UP and down (same thing as PH). It had foam down, and a polish that your suppose to polish the tub with before filling it. There was a clarifier called bright and clear and metal stuff (the name escapes me) among other things. :lol:

It wasn't even a kit! It was the frog, a bottle of chlorine granules and a bottle of oxidizer. After I asked, the delivery guy gave me some test strips. That's it.

oh yeah, foam down also. Did they tell you that you would get a start up kit? Maybe you could call your salesman and tell him how happy you have been with everything except the chemicals you received and see if he can help you out. I also got about an hour lesson on running the spa and taking care of chemicals. The chemicals all came in a container with a booklet on water care and also a dvd to watch.

Boy, I haven't a clue.

It wasn't even a kit! It was the frog, a bottle of chlorine granules and a bottle of oxidizer. After I asked, the delivery guy gave me some test strips. That's it.

'ivieisme', Well those items will keep your tub clean but you'll need PH up and down because it will rise eventually. If you miss a few days adding dichlor, your tub may cloud up. I would get some liquid chlorine to add after soaks or common bleach as Richard (Chemgeek) suggest and shock once a week with Dichlor. Your (CYA) Cyanuric Acid won't build up as fast allowing the free chlorine to work longer. You can buy 99% Dichlor at Walmart. The Product is Aqua Chem Vinyl Pool Shock and a lot cheaper than "Leisure times 56 Gran". You also get one of those scum balls we've been talking about on the board to help with scum buildup. Also get a small box of baking soda to slightly raise PH and alkaline. Buy spa Perfect or some other enzyme if you feel you need it and your set. Soakin baby soakin!! :P If you want a more detailed explanation see this link:

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...art=#entry41314

Good Luck and post pics. Soak long and Prosper :lol:

Lots of stuff for you here ivieisme in the info, help and troubleshooting section.

http://www.rhtubs.com/index.html

Basically, all you need some Metal Gone to start (let it work 24 hrs) to remove iron and junk in the water.

Then add some chlorine, and start adjusting the ph and alk down to proper range. I use muretic acid, cheaper than ph down. It can take awhile to get it in range. Add small doses.

Add more chlorine as needed to get a 3-5 ppm reading on the test strips after soaking. Once you know the amount needed to get there, you can skip the test strips for awhile and only check once a week for ph and alk.

Shock once a week with mps to burn out the stuff the chlorine reacted with.

Fairly simple. You'll only need the clarifiers, defoamers and the rest if you start to run into water problems. Skipping fragrences, and swimsuits, helps a lot.

Go up (back?) one level in this forum and read through the "Chemical" related posts <click here>. The chemistry seems complicated, but it makes sense once you understand some of the basic concepts... like "Starting up". You really should be able to listen to your dealer, and I'm not the person to give you advice. Once you become more involved in the actual condition of your water it won't feel like a chore because it's so rewarding. At the same time I believe it's one of the major things that ends up making people stop using their hottub. This forum can help!

Your hottub provides alot of benefits, like removing toxins (via sweat) and exfoliating your skin. Not to be too graphic but it's key to understand that the chemicals help deal with what ~remains~ in your tub when you get out. The "start up" is key in getting the water balanced so it feels good on your skin (not itchy) and so the time between complete water changes is longer... for example is you have a water softener it's important (if possible) to switch the byapss valve on while filling your hottub, so you're not filling it with "softened" water. Don't wait for the hottub guys to mail you a test kit, you will find yourself in the chemical aisle of the pool/spa supplies soon enough ;) If your spa dealer has a local storefront I'm sure he'd appreciate the business but major hardware/lumber superstores also have a pool spa supply section.

Now your obvious question... yeah so what do I buy and how/when do I use it? well that's a good reason to go to a real pool/spa dealership... for some Customer Service. Or you could just spend some time on here and get the same advice. Remember you already have a "kit" supplied by your spa dealer so that's a good place to start as most water maintenance strategies are NOT compatible with others... translation, there's more than one way to keep your spa fresh and they don't play nice with each other! If you begin using the chemicals/brand supplied try and stick with it (frog thingy). Simply put, do what works for you, is easy to understand, and maintain. If you feel uncomfortable with all the chemistry, your dealer can offer more $ervices I am sure... like testing your water. If your spa dealer does not have a local store in town you should be able to find a pool supply easily... or you could be like me and do it for less $$ and more study right here on the poolspaforum ;)

Cheers!

hahha cplarsen says... [paraphrased]

"Skipping [...] swimsuits, helps a lot."

Now there's some hottubing advice!

Is there an existing thread re: "foaming due to residual laundry detergents in swimsuits" on here?

I feel a bumper sticker coming on...

[universal spa symbol displays as simple rounded box icon with two full circles (heads) on top]

"Soak Neked!"

will someone in the graphics dept get on that right away? thaaaanks

I just called my salesman again. He said I should stop listening to all the marketing "hype" and I don't need any of that. They sell it all there, but he doesn't even want to sell it to me!

He said the water is safe to drink and bathe in. (It is coming in green/yellow). And that there is no metal??!! Just take a little rubbing alcohol around the water line after I put the frog & chlorine and mps & it clears up. This guy has been selling hot tubs for 18 years, and Maaintains people's water when they go away.

I don't even see where you would get a 3-5 ppm reading. My strips have mps (yellow to purple), Alk ppm 0-240 (yellow to blue), it says 60-140 is OK, and ph 6.2-8.4 (7-8 ok). Where would I see 3-5 ppm?

I am sorry to be so ignorant! I read the stuff in the chemical forum and it is like a foreign language!

Do NOT use rubbing alcohol on the acrylic shell.

I just called my salesman again. He said I should stop listening to all the marketing "hype" and I don't need any of that. They sell it all there, but he doesn't even want to sell it to me!

He said the water is safe to drink and bathe in. (It is coming in green/yellow). And that there is no metal??!! Just take a little rubbing alcohol around the water line after I put the frog & chlorine and mps & it clears up. This guy has been selling hot tubs for 18 years, and Maaintains people's water when they go away.

I don't even see where you would get a 3-5 ppm reading. My strips have mps (yellow to purple), Alk ppm 0-240 (yellow to blue), it says 60-140 is OK, and ph 6.2-8.4 (7-8 ok). Where would I see 3-5 ppm?

I am sorry to be so ignorant! I read the stuff in the chemical forum and it is like a foreign language!

Aaaaargghhh! Everybody gives me different info! I got a 4-way test strip now. Both the 3-way and the 4 way all are in the "good" range except Free Chlorine doesn't seem to register. I've added twice. Spa is at 88*, we're getting in soon (it's hot here). Do I keep adding dichlor until it registers?

Aaaaargghhh! Everybody gives me different info! I got a 4-way test strip now. Both the 3-way and the 4 way all are in the "good" range except Free Chlorine doesn't seem to register. I've added twice. Spa is at 88*, we're getting in soon (it's hot here). Do I keep adding dichlor until it registers?

Didn't the water just come out of the tap? If so it's fine as is. I never can keep a measurable chlorine level in my spa as even if I get it up it'll just drop almost immediately. I don't use the test strips for anything more than checking Ph/alk. I fill it, heat it, test ph/alk, use it and EVERY time I exit the spa I add 2 teaspoons of dichlor per person. That way I know its santized after use (when it really needs it) and is ready for the next time I go in. If I go a week without using it I'll add some in between but otherwise I just do the "add as you exit" method.

...and EVERY time I exit the spa I add 2 teaspoons of dichlor per person. That way I know its santized after use (when it really needs it) and is ready for the next time I go in. If I go a week without using it I'll add some in between but otherwise I just do the "add as you exit" method.

Like everyone else, I wanted the easiest route to keeping the water clean so, when we got our spa a few months ago, I talked to a guy who has had a spa for years and tried many different things before settling on his current routine. He said to add 1 tbs. dichlor as we get in and 1 tbs. when we get out. On days when we don't use the spa, we still add 2 tbs. (350 gal. spa, 2 adult users). This has been working fine, but I like the idea of just adding the dichlor when we get out if that will work just as well. Will it? Also, is adding dichlor every day even when we don't use the spa overkill? If you don't use the spa for a week, how often do you "add some in between?" Thanks.

Sandi

My first soak was great. The chlorine finally registered just right before I went in. It may have been a bit high, and we really smelled it, so I shocked with mps after. This morning, no chlorine reading again.

What is everyones thoughts on just shocking with dichlor one day and mps the next? Can you do that? Isn't that kind of the best of both worlds without doing too much of one? Is there anything wrong with doing that?

My dealer tells me to just use the mps. You all seem to favor the dichlor, then when do you use mps? Also, the spa store sold me ph stabilizer. Has anyone used it? My ph is perfect now, but I haven't used that yet.

Like everyone else, I wanted the easiest route to keeping the water clean so, when we got our spa a few months ago, I talked to a guy who has had a spa for years and tried many different things before settling on his current routine. He said to add 1 tbs. dichlor as we get in and 1 tbs. when we get out. On days when we don't use the spa, we still add 2 tbs. (350 gal. spa, 2 adult users). This has been working fine, but I like the idea of just adding the dichlor when we get out if that will work just as well. Will it? Also, is adding dichlor every day even when we don't use the spa overkill? If you don't use the spa for a week, how often do you "add some in between?" Thanks.

Sandi

It is definitely overkill to add daily if you aren't using it daily. You really only need to add after use IMO as long as you don't have long gaps between use. So, add after use but if you don't go in for about 4 days make an add that day and you'll be in good shape for your next soak. Obviously you still want to shock weekly, or so and check your ph/alk.