Balboa/ozone Error

leannetx

I have a Keys Backyard Spa that is about a year old. When I drained it and refilled it the Balboa Control panel threw an error of O3 - I did some research and found out that this is an OZONE error. I have been using the spa for 8 months without even knowing there was an ozonater on it. Now I need to figure out what to do to clear the error. When I shut the power off, the error returns, it's locked in this position. I used normal chemicals until I drained the spa without knowing that there was an OZONE unit on it. Do I just disconnect the Ozonater or should I try to fix the problem? Does anyone have suggestions? The MFG of either the Balboa control panel or KEYS BACKYARD are of no help!!!!

I have a Keys Backyard Spa that is about a year old. When I drained it and refilled it the Balboa Control panel threw an error of O3 - I did some research and found out that this is an OZONE error. I have been using the spa for 8 months without even knowing there was an ozonater on it. Now I need to figure out what to do to clear the error. When I shut the power off, the error returns, it's locked in this position. I used normal chemicals until I drained the spa without knowing that there was an OZONE unit on it. Do I just disconnect the Ozonater or should I try to fix the problem? Does anyone have suggestions? The MFG of either the Balboa control panel or KEYS BACKYARD are of no help!!!!

I have not heard of an O3 message on a Balboa unit. Balboa has an interactive service web-site which lists all the topside error messages. It is located here. I didn't see an 03 message at the site. The message could be from a unit not supported on this site.

Can you confirm your spa pack is a Balboa? Can you confirm that the message is O3?

BTW, Spa-Quip control packs will display an 03 (zero-three) message indicating a problem with the temperature sensor.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

I have not heard of an O3 message on a Balboa unit. Balboa has an interactive service web-site which lists all the topside error messages. It is located here. I didn't see an 03 message at the site. The message could be from a unit not supported on this site.

Can you confirm your spa pack is a Balboa? Can you confirm that the message is O3?

BTW, Spa-Quip control packs will display an 03 (zero-three) message indicating a problem with the temperature sensor.

Ken

It is Balboa and has an Ozonater on it. I can't get it to do anything but heat up and filter. The program is locked and won't change. I have a professional coming out to see what needs to be done. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the reply,

Leanne

When you see an o3 on the control panal that just means that the spa is in the filtration cycle and the onzone it on.....it is not an error code

If that's the case, I wonder why it won't let me program it. The keypad is locked. It will heat up and filter but none of the other jet buttons or light button works. It won't change from the p2 jet 1 position.

When you see an o3 on the control panal that just means that the spa is in the filtration cycle and the onzone it on.....it is not an error code

If that's the case, I wonder why it won't let me program it. The keypad is locked. It will heat up and filter but none of the other jet buttons or light button works. It won't change from the p2 jet 1 position.

On some of the balboa systems you can lock out the control panel check with your owners manuel and see if you can....if not you may want to call a service tech out because it could be a board or the panel. I know on the catalina spas the is a icon of a lock.

On some of the balboa systems you can lock out the control panel check with your owners manuel and see if you can....if not you may want to call a service tech out because it could be a board or the panel. I know on the catalina spas the is a icon of a lock.

Thanks, I have a Service rep coming out so maybe they can figure it out. It was running fine prior to draining/refilling and then the 03 showed up. I disconnected the ozonater and it still shows the message. I have been informed that there is a chip that routinely needs to be replaced in the ozonater also. So that is my next step.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I have a Service rep coming out so maybe they can figure it out. It was running fine prior to draining/refilling and then the 03 showed up. I disconnected the ozonater and it still shows the message. I have been informed that there is a chip that routinely needs to be replaced in the ozonater also. So that is my next step.

Here's my 2 cents... being a contract tech for Keys...

O3 on a topside with Balboa is not an indication of a problem or an error, it is mearly an indication that the OZONE circuit has been activiated. Regardless of whether your ozone generator is working or not, this "O3" display comes on during the filtration cycle, which you CANNOT adjust from the panel. Your ozonator may vary from about 3 different models that Keys sent out. If it is a small dark gray box, it has a replaceable $40 chip. You can do this pretty easily. If it is a larger blue box labeled AeWare, it is a throw-away. If it is a long 4" diameter tube, it is a throw-away. No ozonator lasts more than 1 year for suitable production.

To adjust your spa's filtration, you have one option... the start time ONLY. This coincides with the actual moment you flipped on the circuit breaker. So if you flipped on the breaker at 5pm, then the spa will begin its filtration at 5pm and run for 2 hours. Then at 5AM it will run again for 2 hours. You also have 3 possible modes, which can be programmed by pressing the mode key once and then immediately pressing the up temp key and immediately pressing the mode key. repeat this to display one of the following...

STD - Standard Mode - unit kicks on every 30 minutes to sample temp and turns on heater if needed

ECN - Economy Mode - Unit kicks on for filtration periods only and heater comes on as needed only during filtration

SLP - Sleep Mode - Unit kicks on for filtration, but heater only comes on when 2o degrees below temp setting

If you own a Keys, you are lacking 1 key thing (no pun intended) INSULATION. If your spa is less than 2 years old, it likely has little to no insulation on the shell and a thin shiny layer on each side panel. There are likely large air gaps across the bottom and openings in each corner. This means lots of heat loss. Do yourself a favor, close it up and stuff the void with insulation, rockwool, fiberglass, blown cellulose, anthing is better than what you have now. You will see an improvemtn on the noise factor and a drop in monthly cost of electrical.

Final note... Keys is no longer, they were bought out by Infinity Spas as of 29 December 2007. They are currently experiencing some delays in getting parts shipped and techs out to the job.