Pumps Won't Work

rkiehl

Happy Thanksgiving, HELLLLPPP

I wen out to add chemical to me spa this morning and when I went to tund the pupbs on... nothing

I have a Viking Spa Legacy 2. Control panal lights up. When I press either pump button I here a click but the pumps don't start.

I last used it Monday, everything worked then. I tried cycling power. Checking fuses, i even unplugged the pump from the contropller boeard. When I press the switch I can see power is being sent to the pump. That lead me to beleive that the pump is bad. What are the chances of both pumps failing at the same time???

Anyone have any thoughts??

More importantly, It's about 30-ish degrees here, I think the waters about 80, it's a 500 gallon tub. How long do I have before I have to worry about freezing????

Any help or thoughs greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving, HELLLLPPP

I wen out to add chemical to me spa this morning and when I went to tund the pupbs on... nothing

I have a Viking Spa Legacy 2. Control panal lights up. When I press either pump button I here a click but the pumps don't start.

I last used it Monday, everything worked then. I tried cycling power. Checking fuses, i even unplugged the pump from the contropller boeard. When I press the switch I can see power is being sent to the pump. That lead me to beleive that the pump is bad. What are the chances of both pumps failing at the same time???

Anyone have any thoughts??

More importantly, It's about 30-ish degrees here, I think the waters about 80, it's a 500 gallon tub. How long do I have before I have to worry about freezing????

Any help or thoughs greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple things to consider.

The click you hear is a high voltage relay. The relays work off 110 volts allong with the timer, and sometimes the air blower.

Check to be certain the fuse or GFI you are inspecting is the motors circut breaker.

Another problem ive found are insect`s going into the panels. I once had to clean out an ant colony

because the contaminated the relay contacts and allthough the relay was working when it closed it closed on the ants and didnt make contact. Spyders and other bugs can do this as well.

As far as freezing I cant help you there since i`m in so cal.

If it were me I would shut the circut braker at the house panel. Get a multi-meter or wiggy,

Remove the front spa panel exposing the relays

look for ants or bugs and if nothing they turn the breaker back on and take voltage readings.

White to any colored wire should get 110 except the green ground wire. any of the colored wires except green and white should show 220 volts(AC)

If your getting 220V AC to the motor then it is in the motor.

These bugs can also contaminate the switches inside the motor too.

Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks,

I have been able to pull the plug on the 2-speed pump, jam some wires in and hot-wire to the main power supply. This got the pump running. So I guess it rools out the pump both going. I've cheked a couple of fuses and they looked good. I'll let it warm up some and then pull the relays to see what's there. I has wasps in there this summer, so I don;t doubt that other bugs could have gotten in there. ANyone know how relaible the Balboa controller is. should i suspect the board a s awhole???

Thanks for the help any other input aprreciated.

Thanks,

I have been able to pull the plug on the 2-speed pump, jam some wires in and hot-wire to the main power supply. This got the pump running. So I guess it rools out the pump both going. I've cheked a couple of fuses and they looked good. I'll let it warm up some and then pull the relays to see what's there. I has wasps in there this summer, so I don;t doubt that other bugs could have gotten in there. ANyone know how relaible the Balboa controller is. should i suspect the board a s awhole???

Thanks for the help any other input aprreciated.

Never heard of them. If your asking about the topside control. If your talking about the control panel under the spa ive seen them with many names but they all look and operate the same.

You said you hear a click when you engage the motor and this would rule out the topside control panel because the click is more then likely the high voltage relay that is doing what the topside control wants but isn't sending power to the motor, as well if your using the timer to turn it on you should get the same clack sound.. There is also a small air actuated switch if its is so equipped but it doesn't make a clack,more like a ball point pen click.

It may be bugs or it could be the relay has just had it. I usually cut the power and use a small flat points file on the contacts.

Good luck.