Thinking Of Adding Indoor Pool - Which Is Better - Gunite Or Fiberglass - Chicago, Il

jtsmomndad

Hello All -

I am thinking of adding on to the house to include an indoor pool (which does not currently exist) for we live in an unpredictable climate here in Chicago. Also, if you are going to spend the money to put in an inground pool, might as well have it enclosed to be used year-round. However, I really don't know much about inground pools, especially, indoor. What would be the best choice (fiberglass or gunite) and what are some of the drawbacks of having an indoor pool. Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Give us a call. We work in Chicago. The pool on our homepage is actually in Chicago. You can check it out SunSplashSwimmingPools in Google.

As far as fiberglass vs. concrete...when they start building foundations for houses out of fiberglass then get a fiberglass pool. Until then, get a concrete pool. Reinforced concrete is stronger, lasts longer and is more easily repairable.

• 5 months later...
Give us a call. We work in Chicago. The pool on our homepage is actually in Chicago. You can check it out SunSplashSwimmingPools in Google.

As far as fiberglass vs. concrete...when they start building foundations for houses out of fiberglass then get a fiberglass pool. Until then, get a concrete pool. Reinforced concrete is stronger, lasts longer and is more easily repairable.

(1) Fiberglasspools are seventeen times stronger than concrete ( flexural strength). Concrete pools are rigid and cracks with movement.

(2) fiberglass pools are manufactured in a plant under controlled quality assurance process. Concrete pools are onsite construction quality depends on workforce.

(3) fiberglass pools requires no repairs when well maintained. Concrete pools require acid washing, remarcite, replaster & repainting.

(4) fiberglass pools are smooth and has a silky feel. Concrete pools are very rough and equal to 80 grit sandpaper.

(5) fiberglass pools are algae resistant and cannot adhere to pool surface. Concrete pools are porus with constant algae growth to wall and algae attaches to the pores which is why it requires acid washing.

(6) fiberglass pools have 25 year to lifetime transferrable warranty. Concrete pools commonly only carry a one year warranty by the contractor. If concrete pools are so much better then why dont they back it up with a warranty. Ask a concrete pool contractor for a warranty of more than one year and watch him beat around the bush.

When they start making cars and boats and bathtubs out of concrete because it is so strong and so easy to repair, sign me up. When a concrete, gunite, or shotcrete pool cracks, a permanent fix will be both expensive and time consuming compared to a fiberglass pool. Both fiberglass and concrete pools have their advantages and disadvantages. I have worked on many projects that due to access problems, engineering challenges etc. in which the use of a fiberglass swimming pool met the challenges and surpassed the requirements of the job at a susbstantialy lower price for the customer. There are times that due to size and shape restrictions, only a custom concrete pool will do. Consider all of your options and talk to as many of the prospective pool builders clients as you can.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Newbie -- did you get an indoor pool? If so, whom did you use (I'm also in Chicagoland)? How much was it? Did you get a glass/acrylic enclosure?

I would recommend a shot-crete pool in the chicagoland area. The shot-crete pool is the strongest pool on the market despite what you may hear.

Our shot-crete pools are built with 12'' thick concrete walls reinforced with steel rebar and fiber mesh. We use a 7.5 bag concrete mix which is much stronger than the concrete used for your patio drive(normally 3.4 or 4). The concrete we use is incredibly stong and can easily withstand the freeze though of the Chicago Climate. Our concrete pools are built stronger than the foundation your house sits on.

We also use 2'' sch 80 pvc which is much stronger than the sch 40 pvc most builders use in this area.

Before you purchase a pool you should know all the facts about a shot-crete pool versus a fiberglass pool.

1. A fiberglass pool has to be backfilled and filled with water a certain way during construction, or else the pool walls will bow inwards or outwards. This does'nt happen to a shot-crete pool.

2. If a shot-crete pool cracks do to pressure, imagine what the fiberglass pool will look like given the fact you have to worry about the walls bulging inward if you drain the pool.

Concrete may not be used to build cars, probably due to its weight, but it is used to build skyscrapers. Concrete is also used to block large bodies of water, like in the Hoover Dam and flood walls.

I would be more than happy to give you a quote on a shot-crete pool.

Sincerely,

Nick Luisi

Sunset Pools and Spas, Inc.

847-285-3220

info@sunsetpools-spas.com

• 3 weeks later...

I see the focus on the posted reply's has been on the type of construction, but you should seriously consider the way you'll handle the condensation inside the room if you enclose a swimming pool. Keeping the water temperature close to, or above, the ambient temperature in the room is a sure bet to make the walls sweat. if you don't prepare for that you can damage the room, or (worse yet) the building - especially if it's attached to your home.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools has been building pools for more than 60 years and we have many indoor display pools salted around the country, so I deal with this reality often enough to caution you about the potential if you don't address it upfront with your builder. Dehumidification systems add thousands of dollars to the project, but if done correctly, can actually help you heat the pool using the condensation itself. Long run - it's probably a good trade off.

I would consult a few professionals in your area that have been in business for an extended period of time, and that have built several indoor installations - then go see them for yourself.

Tom Casey

VP Sales

Anthony & Sylvan Pools

• 3 months later...

Gunite pools are the best in the world. The bottom line is design limitations. If you do not require limitless design options then the playing field becomes a little more level. The only way to truely determine which is the best pool is to consider situation specific examples.

Cost is a big issue as is quality of the installation. The projected lifetime of the pool will have less to do with what material it is constructed from and more from how well it has been installed. Both concrete and fibreglass pools can last a long time and everyone has an opinion as to which is better

My personal opinion is that concrete pools are the best in the world - hands down. My reasoning has a lot to do with my understanding of just how much specialty skill and experience it takes to build a quality concrete pool. To compare something that takes a team of artisans up to two months to complete with something that can be dropped in over a weekend is not a fair comparison.

The question becomes then one of weighing costmetic appeal vs potential longevity vs cost vs installation requirements. The answer to which is better will boil down to which is better - for you.

If you just want to compare all the pro's and con's of each type of pool you can read my online tutorial on vinyl vs concrete vs fibreglass in my signature.

I hope this information is helpful

S