Buying Used Tub - Artesian Piper Glen Q's

chadwick02

Hey everyone,

Trying to decide between 2 tubs that are for sale locally:

2001 Artesian Piper Glen

and

2003 Hot Springs Sovereign.

A few questions, especially about the piper glen, which I like the most (I think):

1) The piper glen sure seems HUGE. I estimate that 50% of my hot tub time will be with a large crowd (we entertain a lot), so big is good then. However, the other 50% of the time it will be me and that special someone. I am afraid that the tub is so big that the “intimacy” in small groups (even 4 people) will be lost. Like having dinner for 2 at a giant table. Is this a valid concern, or am I crazy?

1a) the piper glen also seems deep. Is it too deep? Do smaller people (not children, but specifically smaller women) have problems in all the seats?

2) all the reviews I have read state the piper has 5 motors. This one only has 3. Is this because it is an older model?

3) Does anyone have any info on actual power consumption of the piper glen? The owners claim that it only costs them $40 a month in electricity, but there is a good chance that electricity in my town is a lot more expensive than in theirs. Anyone have a good idea of the increase in actual kilowatts per month?

4) the insulation on the piper seems thin. It’s a yellow foam that is molded to the outside of the tub, I’d guess its only half an inch thick or so. Does this sound right?

5) are parts easy to get for this tub?

6) any major reason why someone would not get the piper glen (especially reliability, comfort or size)?

Some more details:

- Both sellers are asking around $1500. Both tubs appear in good cosmetic condition. The Piper is missing 3 jets, that are “easily replaceable” Do these prices sound fair? Any good online stores to buy the jets, and maybe some of the foam pillows?

- I cannot wet test either tub. Both have been drained and “winterized” for the winter. I trust both sellers, so I am not worried about getting a dead spa to start with. My primary use will be generally lounging around and relaxing. I do not have any special injuries, however I do have a fair amount of tension in the upper back\shoulder\neck area that would be nice to work on a little.

Looking for any more info, tips, or pointers on either of these tubs before I make the purchase. Anything else I should be aware of or cautious of?

Thanks in advance,

Chad

I have an 8' x 10' tub, and have no problem with the intimacy of it. For a large group it is great, because you aren't all smashed together. And if you're in there with one special person, you can sit close together, so it still feels intimate. For small groups, it's not a problem in mine. I don't want to sit that close to my friends anyway.

As for the depth, I don't know if a deeper tub makes people float. I think it can. All the more reason for you to hold on to those smaller women in your tub. ;)

ok, thanks everyone!

Now, how about the insulation on this tub (or lack there of)? It appears as if the underside of the entire tub is coated with a yellow insulation, but it does not seem very think. Its hard to tell, but I'd guess its under an inch thick. I realize there are lots of ways I can insulate the tub more my self, ive been reading about a few of you that have done the projects. Is the Piper Glen considered a "fully insulated" tub as it sits right now, with just this coat of of insulation, or would this be considered an poorly insulated tub?

I've attached a picture of the inside of the tub.

P1010014.JPG

Thanks for the good info so far!

They are fully foamed tubs now. I don't know about then. Maybe you could call Artesian and ask them. Usually that yellow looking foam, is the full foam insulation. The other option is thermopane, which is a thin sheet of insulation on the outside walls. Have you gone to Artesian's website? You can still download an owner's manual for that tub. The piper glen is in their Platinum class. I don't think your picture link is working.

They are fully foamed tubs now. I don't know about then. Maybe you could call Artesian and ask them. Usually that yellow looking foam, is the full foam insulation. The other option is thermopane, which is a thin sheet of insulation on the outside walls. Have you gone to Artesian's website? You can still download an owner's manual for that tub. The piper glen is in their Platinum class. I don't think your picture link is working.

Thats strange, i just checked the picture from another computer and it loaded fine (it is big though, 56k beware!!). Anyone else having trouble with the picture?

I have not called artesian. I suppose i could do that, good idea! I did find the manual.