Can't Get Pipes Clean, Even After Decontamination...?

dforrest

Have had a Caldera Martinique for three months. Started with Silk Balance and minimal chlorine (bad idea- water went cloudy a lot). Switched to chlorine (water stayed crystal clear but chlorine demand was extremely high). Switched to Spa Frog so that minerals and bromine would be constantly sanitizing water, without me having to dump in chemicals every day. But still, even with Spa Frog bromine cartridge all the way open (on "6"), I can't get, or maintain, a bromine level in the water (except for right after I shock it). (Water stays crystal clear though).

Ran Sea Klear Spa Purge before draining and got an incredible ring of sticky oily muck at the water line. Wiped it off, ran the other half of the bottle, and kept wiping off the ring as it formed, until no more formed. Cleaned the tub and refilled, balanced, shocked, etc- even added Spa Perfect enzyme treatment- but STILL can't maintain any bromine level, with Spa Frog bromine all the way open (6).

I took the front panel off, and discovered white spots/blotches in some of the clear tubing in the plumbing. White water mold, perhaps? Ran an entire bottle of Swirl Away (produced virtually no ring, this time), drained, refilled, dumped in nearly an entire GALLON of bleach, hoping the bleach would decompose the gunk in the lines- still nothing. Added an entire CUP of dichlor, and have run for an hour, but still have the same white spots and gunk visible in the clear plumbing.

What do I do next, after all this, to get rid of that stuff in the lines, and try to finally overcome my sanitizer demand?

Spa Purge and Swirl Away are not as effect as Ahh-Some. I would use that product which is what we recommend on this forum. People have tried these different products over the years and everyone (but one person, I believe) found Ahh-Some to be the best.

• 1 month later...

I did extensive testing and went through thousands of gallons of water, testing several different products. by far my strongest recommendation is Ahh-Some. I have written up a detailed experimental description in pdf form, but haven't posted it anywhere. Here's the bottom line:

Natural Chemistry "Spa purge". overloaded with surfactants that produce epic amounts of foam, but does very little

SeaKlear "system Flush". does very little

Silk Balance "Clean Start". just borax in a really expensive container. does nothing. If you want borax, go to the grocery store

Aquafinesse "spa Clean". completely worthless

Unique Solutions "ahh-Some" woh baby. be prepared to learn what is lurking in your pipes and the pleats of your filters!

• 4 weeks later...

You got the best advice about what to use to clean out the pipes, Ahh-some. Nobody directly answered what the white blotches in the tubing may be. It strikes me as the kind of chlorine burn, a white stain, seen on the bottom of vinyl pool liners where heavy dose of crystals was dumped in. Since you used a high volume of bleach for super-chlorination you may have burned sensitive spots in the tubing. I wonder if the experts could corroborate this theory or if I am just on the wrong track.