Flashing Red On Hot Spring Sovereign After Refill

Barry C

I have a '99 model, with newer PDR No Fault Heater (replaced 3-4 years ago). I drained the tub and it has sat empty for about 8 months or more. I refilled today, after replacing filters and both the Control Stat and Hi Limit Thermistor. I get an immediate flashing red on control panel after plugging in. Immediate. Before shutting down 8 months ago, I was getting a blinking red about a minute after plugging in, and heater would get very hot to touch. That is reason I proactively replaced items mentioned above.

Circ pump seems fine, moving water for sure. I refilled tub with hose down the gray filter tube, I don't think I have airlock. Based on immediate red blinking light, I'm hoping for easy diagnosis (even if expensive).

Any thoughts?

Hi Barry, You have already addressed the usual suspects for the blinking red light (airlock, filter, and sensors). I suggest you check for the unusual cause, such as a communication error between one or more of the components. I recommend unplugging the auxiliary control panel from the circuit board first if that doesn't do the trick, I would then try disconnecting the LED light from the system. Please feel free to call Watkins customer service department at (800)999-4688 ext. 8432 for any further assistance or contact information for your local authorized dealer.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried both ideas, neither worked. Circ pump is running, but nothing else. I'm thinking I have another bad heater, but want to exhaust any other ideas before dropping another $300. Is this how a bad header would present? Immediate flashing red light, circ pump works but all other buttons (light, clean and jets) are inoperable.

• 2 months later...

Barry C - Did you ever figure this out, as I am having a very similar condition? Tub working fine, drained water and refilled down grey filter tube. Turned circuit breaker back on, display shows briefly then red flashing light. Circulation pump working (ripples in water and line into filter bay shooting water). Just to be sure no air lock, followed purge procedure by disconnecting outlet allowed water to flow through pump. Red flashing light on main control panel, can't run clean, main jets, no display, lights don't work. It was a nice day above freezing today when I decided to drain/refill, now it is 17 deg F, so would like to get this diagnosed and looking for any insight you may have.