Hot springs spa Mallorca hi limit trip

Got a 2006 Mallorca and it keeps tripping the hi limit circuit. I have ohmed out the thermistor and confirmed its good from a temp/resistance chart. Wierd thing is, is that it is tripping when the tub is not at set point (tub @100 and thermistor is supposed to trip at 118), when the thermistor is cold (even put it in ice water for testing) and sometimes at startup. I can reset power about 3 times and it will come back. I have good water flow, clean filter so im thinking the Spa controller has gone bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks

If the hi limit is tripping before the tub reaches 118 degrees, it may be a bad hi limit sensor.  I see that you mentioned that you have the resistance measured, but a new hi limit switch will cost much less than a new circuit board.  And your resistance measurement may not be that accurate.

We don't test hi limit switches with a meter.  We pull them out of the heater and if we get hi limit errors when the sensor is not at trip temperature, we replace them.  Never been wrong yet.

Got it, but you keep mentioning "hi limit switch". I have a thermistor that is bolted on top of the heater tube. The control sensor is supposed be the same resistance as the hi limit sensor. They both read identical resistance in hot water and cold water, this is what puzzles me. But to your point guess its worth replacing the sensor first and see what happens.

Just a quick question adamrich - are you sure we're talking about the hi-limit sensor and not the temperature sensor? 

As to the acuraspq controllers, make sure you get one that can accomodate the type of heater & circ pump you have.  2" heater cans require more water flow than mini-circ pumps can provide.  If you have 2" plumbing with pump 1 providing heater water movement, my personal spa controller preference would be a balboa or gecko pack, mainly because they are good quality products made by hot tub companies.  I see acuraspa controllers in some do-it-yourself'er tubs and my impression is that just because they are cheaper doesn't necessarily mean they're better.

With Balboa and Gecko packs, but the kit that includes the controller, topside and heater. 

Can you post a picture of your current heater and pack?  We work on a lot of Hot Spring tubs, but I don't believe I've seen many Mallorca models.

Hello Adamrich33 your Ice water test on the Hi-limit thermistor would also send the spa into protection mode as the cold temperature is still out of range. For testing purposes, you'll want to pull the thermistor off the manifold and place it in a cup of spa water or tepid water if the spa water is very cold. You should be able to tell within 10 minutes or less if that Hi-Limit / protection made has gone away. If it goes away your heater likely has a misaligned element causing a hot spot on the manifold near where the temperature is read by the thermistor. A new heater p/n 73994 should cure that.

Thanks. The sensor trips regardless of temp it's reading. I have replaced the sensor and have the same issue. I have already inspected the heating element and it is good and not contacting the hester housing. The controller trips out and I have to reset power 3 to 4 times to get it to reset 

OK.  You were saying "tripped " and sometimes people use that phrase when the circuit breaker closes.  Just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying.  Interesting that cycling the power off a couple of times brings it back, but only cycling it once doesn't.

When you reset power, how long does it take until the hi limit error message comes on?  Is the rest of the spa inoperative?

I don't understand why it takes 3 tries to reset the spa.  Something sounds strange about that.  If a circuit board had a damaged relay, it would normally stay damaged.  If there were a logic problem with a chip, once again, if it's bad, it stays bad.

In your first post, you said the filter was clean, but you didn't say if you tried running the spa without the filter, so try that.  Filters can LOOK clean but be clogged with mineral scale, shampoo, skin lotion and probably a dozen other clear contaminants that restrict water but aren't noticeable at a quick glance.  The fact that you could get the hi limit to hold after three reset attempts might be due to the first two few second bursts of low flow water being sucked into the filters, just enough to get water into the heater tub, to give a little flow so the tub starts up.  I realize I'm grasping at straws here, but to have it consistently start up on the third attempt, even temporarily, is telling us something.

If that doesn't work, however, I'm out of ideas.  You're getting a hi limit sensor trip and you say the hi limit is good.  The Hot Springs folks suggest it could be a heater element and you said that's also good.

That pretty much leaves the circuit board.

• 2 weeks later...

Update after finally catching the issue while it was happening I have found that the pump is kicking on and off after some run time the motor has failed and that is what has caused the high temp limit issues now that the problem has been found I need to replace the spa motor and pump any suggestions on where to find a new pump motor as I was separating the pump housing the impeller broke due to corrosion. So far the cheapest I have been able to find is $450 being in the HVAC industry I seem to think that's a little high you guys have any leads on where to Source One at a more affordable price

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2017 at 9:39 AM, adamrich33 said:

Update after finally catching the issue while it was happening I have found that the pump is kicking on and off after some run time the motor has failed and that is what has caused the high temp limit issues now that the problem has been found I need to replace the spa motor and pump any suggestions on where to find a new pump motor as I was separating the pump housing the impeller broke due to corrosion. So far the cheapest I have been able to find is $450 being in the HVAC industry I seem to think that's a little high you guys have any leads on where to Source One at a more affordable price

Did this fix your issue? I'm having an identical problem where my pump has gone bad so the high limit seems to be kicking after seconds of operation. if it was the board, it wouldnt work at all right?

It will definitely trip if your pumps shuts off while it's trying to heat.

However since I put on a new pump it trips less often. I believe it has something to do with the outsoor temps when it get below 60 outside it will trip. Problay the board failing. I found to order a new spa controller this fall