Bummed!

junebug

Well my husband and i went out this past weekend and did some wet testing. Was really looking forward to soaking and finding the right tub for us. Have had my hopes up and searching for quite some time now. Only to discover that i am obviously a "floater". I have tried several different spa's and get the same results. Any explanation as to why this is?????? the salesman gave me a weight to set on my legs to hold me down, but who in the heck wants to do this????? I cannot see spending big bucks on a spa that i cannot set in. I am about 5' 5" tall, am i trying tubs that are too deep maybe???? Some of you may find this quite funny, but i am totally disappointed that this is happening to me. Do i just give up on my dream or is there a tub that may work for me??????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this only happening when you are trying to use a lounger? If so, don't panic. Spas can still be a wonderful and relaxing experience without one. I, originally, wanted to buy a spa with a lounger, but floated and decided it would be useless. Now, I'm actually thrilled that we didn't get one. I am glad to have the additional seating. How many spas did you wet test? If your heart is set on a lounger, keep looking. You might just find one where you don't float. The lounge that I floated out of the least was a bullfrog.

I float in a suit, but not in my skin - 5'11', ballpark 190 weight.

I know its hard to wet test naked, but see if you can just to find out if that's the "problem" - the suits hold air, and air makes you float more then just your normal body buoyancy.

Also, some tubs (mine, for example, a Tiger River Caspian) have foot domes in the middle - you can usually use that push off of with your feet, fairly comfortably, to wedge yourself in the seat.

Short of lowering your body mass index, you are what you are. That's the problem with lounge seats, btw... it's really hard to stay in em.

I would think that a swimsuit would make a big difference in whether or not you float. Maybe wear a bikini when wet testing? Less fabric would equal less floating?

Otherwise, possibly a smaller tub, or a shallower tub. You might not weigh enough to displace the water in the tub, so it's trying to push you out. But I'm just guessing now. I really don't know what makes people float in the tub.

Actually i tried both kinds of spa's with lounger and without lounger. And unfortunately i got the same results, floating. The spa's we wet tested were sundance altamar(lounger), and sundance chelsee(no lounger). But i do believe both spa's were 37" tall, a fairly deep tub wouldnt you say??? could that maybe be the problem??? i was unable to rest my neck on the pillow and i dont know if it was because i'm too short, or the fact that i'm floating and cant position myself in the seat long properly.

Actually i tried both kinds of spa's with lounger and without lounger. And unfortunately i got the same results, floating. The spa's we wet tested were sundance altamar(lounger), and sundance chelsee(no lounger). But i do believe both spa's were 37" tall, a fairly deep tub wouldnt you say??? could that maybe be the problem??? i was unable to rest my neck on the pillow and i dont know if it was because i'm too short, or the fact that i'm floating and cant position myself in the seat long properly.

I would look for 3 things in your case:

1) A spa without a lounger as has been discussed,

2) Stay with a spa that is 36" max depth due to floating issue (I hope hubby isn't 6'4")

3) A foot ridge in the middle of the spa footwell area which will allow you to use it to gently brace yourself. This can make all the difference to a floater. Try a spa with one and you'll see what I mean.

I had a hard time in the Sundance spas I tested as well. I, also, thought that was a bummer. I really liked the spas and the reputation Sundance has. I am 5' 5", as well. I think spatech had some great advice. The spa we purchased is 36" deep and I don't fill it to the max. Bracing yourself with something in the footwell is a big help. If these suggestions don't work, I hear their is surgery to stretch your limbs. We could probably get you up to about 5"8". :)

I also find I have to perch a bit in the lounge seat to avoid floating, and I'm just sinkable enough to relax without floating in the more upright seating spots. I do enjoy free floating some of the time, BUT, I'm looking forward to the decrease in buoyancy that will come when I finally commit to taking the pounds that have been creeping on over time off. I'm adding that to my list of motivations.

I'm 5'7" and I'm darned sure it is the 40 extra pounds not my overall size that's the problem. I know I was less buoyant when I was thinner and very fit. Fat is less dense than water...

I'm guessing that really light people without a lot of muscle tone might also tend to float. So if you are a small person and a floater, lifting weights might help!

my wife floated a bit in our Coleman 480 as well but have found the more she uses it the more control she has gained...along with not running blower and air injection into nozzles full blast but for a short period as the bubbles float her and not the water movement.

Propping feet against footwell elevations or nearby seats helps as well....plus she found that on the two massage seating positions with the head rest and shoulder massage jets that she can use the overhang that fits around her neck and shoulders to keep her down during that intense 15 minute cycle of blower, air, and both motors on HIGH.

The rest of the time when it is just motors for movement and light jet action she has no issues...

naked definitely helps as well....

Thanks to everyone for all your words of encouragement. I believe i will just continue to shop around in hopes i find a spa that fits me. I'm not sure what the issue is but i am determined to soak. So i will do more wet testing and see what i come up with, wish me luck. I so want a spa, i just cant seem to bring myself to spend all that money on something i have to fight to try and enjoy. Will let you all know if i have any luck, thanks again for all your advice it is greatly appreciated.

As a new spa owner, I think you(or some people) have to 'learn' how to relax in the tubs. I floated in the first tubs we wet tested. We bought a huge Sundance Optima, delivered last Thursday, and I don't float in it. It is much easier to relax at home, too. I am 5'6". Don't give up, yet.

CRose

I float too. We just set our tub up a week ago. I am finding that the more I use it, the less I float. It takes very little to prevent floating. I can just put an arm against the side or put a on a seat, etc. If I sit by hubby, his shoulder will keep me down. But I think a large part is relaxing and not struggling against the water. Every time I get in, I float less. Although totally floating on my back, looking at the stars is awesome.

Well my husband and i went out this past weekend and did some wet testing. Was really looking forward to soaking and finding the right tub for us. Have had my hopes up and searching for quite some time now. Only to discover that i am obviously a "floater". I have tried several different spa's and get the same results. Any explanation as to why this is?????? the salesman gave me a weight to set on my legs to hold me down, but who in the heck wants to do this????? I cannot see spending big bucks on a spa that i cannot set in. I am about 5' 5" tall, am i trying tubs that are too deep maybe???? Some of you may find this quite funny, but i am totally disappointed that this is happening to me. Do i just give up on my dream or is there a tub that may work for me??????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Coleman Spa model 471 has a lounger in it that has a foot zone that you can actually use to lever yourself into the lounge so you don't float out. You should actually try and wet test that spa and I feel that you will like it.

You might try Dimension One spas. Their seats are inclined to help with floating. We wet tested several brands and my wife found she did not float in the D1. We bought the Nuatilus model which does not have a lounger. After a couple months of home remodeling the tub is being delivered tomorrow!

Good luck with your search.

• 2 weeks later...

I floated like crazy! I'm around 5'5" too, and a little overweight, but not plus sized! Loungers were out for me. The Caldera spas are made with a foot ridge to keep you in your seat, and they are placed perfectly, so you don't realize you are using it. Also, any of the spas that have one of those big foot mounds are great too.

I found the Dimension 1 spas still had seats that recline and sink down too much. Upright seats work better without a "buttwell" where your butt sinks down lower. Neck pillows that come forward around your neck help too.

Hi there!

I'm 5'3" and found I was having the same problem, as well as "drowning" in most spas. My husband and I have been researching models and have wet tested a few. As we have a relatively small area in which we can put our spa, the 3-seaters are what we must purchase. Once we were able to wet-test one of those, I found I wasn't drowning and floating was less of an issue. These are much shallower than those big monster spas! We wet-tested the Hot Springs Jetsetter. Tomorrow I'm going to try the Caldera Kauai and the D1 Triad II. (I'll start a separate post about the comparison of those!). I've been told that the grip bar on the side of the lounger of the Caldera, as well its shape - deeper seat plus your legs are up at different angle than the Jetsetter - helps to combat the floating. I'll let you know!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was totally disappointed after the first wet test! I can't tell you what a let-down it was for me.

Good luck with your search!

:):)

I am 5'2''. I was the one who insisted on lounger. My 6'5'' hubby could have cared less. But once home, he is the one who uses the lounger because otherwise his shoulders are out of the water. OUrs is a 36'' tall tub. I find that I rotate to the different seats of our Jacuzzi 335 as each seat gives a little different therapy. I didn't think about our height difference when making decision. Happily this works well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my spa for a day and a half now. I don't float anymore! I guess it's true, you learn to relax and don't really have the issue anymore. Of course with the jets on, I get pushed out, but find it easy now to stay where I am if I want. (The Caldera foot ridge helps). My spa (Niagra) has kind of a mini-lounge, and I have no problem using it, but I still think I am glad I didn't get a full lounge and waste the space. I find I make every seat a lounge by turning a bit & putting my feet on the seat next to me if I want.