Any Info On Rx For Hot Tub?

cverboort

I posted a couple days ago asking questions about our recent purchase of the Costco Arcadia. One of the main reasons for the purchase was for therapeutic purposes. I've had 8 shoulder surgeries and could use the jet and heat therapy. I was wondering if anyone has had experience or information in obtaining a prescription for a hot tub? I am going to ask my orthopedist about it. I've heard they are difficult to get. But it would be good obviously for the tax write off.

Thanks for any feeback!

i have not heard of the sales tax relief from costco but it sounds worth looking in to. the traditional use of a portable spa perscription is as a write off. its not that uncommon although not everybody can reach a threshhold where they can deduct much. you have to spend a percentage of your income on medical before you can start deducting. talk to an accountant if you can. you might be able to count prep (elect. etc.) and chemicals. and of course your normal dr. visits would all add up towards this threshold. if you can get a deduction it might consider upgrading your purchase. it would be like having a built in approx. 30% discount on any more you spent on the spa.

i'm no tax accountant (but i did stay at a holiday inn last night) check with one going in if you get the script.

Very difficult to get an IRS deduction, and an almost guaranteed tax audit.

Yes, this is what I was referring to when I said tax write off. We have been told hot tubs for medical reasons can be written off w/ medical expenses with a script. Dr. Spa..Curious to know more and how you got the info?

Yes, this is what I was referring to when I said tax write off. We have been told hot tubs for medical reasons can be written off w/ medical expenses with a script. Dr. Spa..Curious to know more and how you got the info?

The short answer, as I can't remember it all :D , basically, a medical expense has to be only for the person with the medical problem. If you get a spa that seats 4 to 6 people, most likely the deduction would be disallowed. But HEY, it sure can't hurt to try (assuming you don't mind incurring a possible audit)

The short answer, as I can't remember it all :D , basically, a medical expense has to be only for the person with the medical problem. If you get a spa that seats 4 to 6 people, most likely the deduction would be disallowed. But HEY, it sure can't hurt to try (assuming you don't mind incurring a possible audit)

Thanks all for the replies. No, we aren't wanting a possible audit. And No, we aren't trying to work the system. I have Extensive arthritis after all the surgeries and there will be a replacement in the not too distant future. I heard it can be done, just wondering if anyone had personal experience with it.

SPATCH~GOOD idea, think I will make that call first.

Thanks again!