Problems With Temp Control And Lights?

seattlemama

We had our Caldera Geneva (Utopia) wired up yesterday by the electrician, and are having some problems (this is a used tub - 2 years old) - and I guess I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas, advice, or experience with this problem? First, the lights won't turn on...at all. Jets work, heater works, etc. - but the lights won't go on. Wiring problem?

Second, the heater is a bit jacked up - we turned it on yesterday, set it for 103 - woke up this am and it was registering at 107!! We immediately took the top off, started the jets, and turned the 'set temp' down to 99. Half hour later, it was up to 108!! We took a physical reading of the tub and it came up as 105.3 - so luckily not as hot as 108. I have called the local dealers (no calls back yet), looked in the book (no topics covering too hot temps), reset the breakers...and just don't know what to do now. We have turned off the jets and are going to see what it does. Leaving the top off as well - ANY thoughts would be appreciated!!

We had our Caldera Geneva (Utopia) wired up yesterday by the electrician, and are having some problems (this is a used tub - 2 years old) - and I guess I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas, advice, or experience with this problem? First, the lights won't turn on...at all. Jets work, heater works, etc. - but the lights won't go on. Wiring problem?

Second, the heater is a bit jacked up - we turned it on yesterday, set it for 103 - woke up this am and it was registering at 107!! We immediately took the top off, started the jets, and turned the 'set temp' down to 99. Half hour later, it was up to 108!! We took a physical reading of the tub and it came up as 105.3 - so luckily not as hot as 108. I have called the local dealers (no calls back yet), looked in the book (no topics covering too hot temps), reset the breakers...and just don't know what to do now. We have turned off the jets and are going to see what it does. Leaving the top off as well - ANY thoughts would be appreciated!!

You may want to check the 12AWG wiring going from the 20A Breaker in the GFCI to terminals 1 and 3 on the Control Box. Pretty certain the 20A is the light circuit. I'd assume if the Spa Lock was set you couldn't turn on the jets either so that's probably not the problem. Alternatively, the lighting control box may be fried (it's the little black box to the left of the circ pump and heater).

• 3 weeks later...

Did your temperature problem ever come back?

After a month of ownership, we saw our Caldera Tahitian go up to 110 degrees (its set for 101). We reset everything and turned off the heater breaker for a while to let it cool. Next day it ran up to 105 degrees. Later, after more resets it seemes to have stabilized to the 101 we originally set. We have been monitoring it with a floating thermometer to confirm the readings.

I'm just wondering if we both are having intermittent failures which allows the temp to rise too high.

Thx

Pat

there has to be a malfunction there. no spa should ever heat to 110 deg. i can't say for sure on your caldera but i don't think the part that protects the heater from overheating is too expensive. if you can contract with a factory trained technician i would do so. you will end up costing yourself more in electricity and enjoying your spa alot less (if you can't keep it at your desired temp.)