Opening In May Or So

mplekker

Ok, people, so far everyone here has been real helpful....So here's another series of questions. The situation right now is: The pool is clean and filled with 30000 gallons of clean water. The underground piping is pressure tested, and the pump runs. Strong jets of water can be felt coming out of the exhaust jets. So far so good. Then, a little bit of bad news: The DE filter was cracked on its top and also on its base. I had a pool guy look at it, and he said it is basically junk. So I am looking to buy a new DE filte. Now the current one is a Purex Triton Nautilus FNS36. First question is: Can I just arbitrarily replace that with ANY filter? Like maybe a Hayward? Or maybe a LARGER filter, like an FNS48? Should be possible, right? Which ones are the best for a 30,000 gallon inground pool? I'm looking around on Ebay hoping to find a bargain.

Right now, I have a valve in between the lines and the DE filter that either runs the water through the DE filter (which I now have bypassed with a straight piece of pipe, by the way) or to waste. A sales mean told me that I might need a new valve for a new DE filter. Why is this? Supposedly one that you can also backflush with or something.

Also, they said that I need to buy the DE earth stuff (hard to pronounce). How much do you buy, and where do you put it?

Once the DE filter is in place, we will be somewhere in May, and it will be time to open the pool. Now I have been reading about shocking the pool, and so on. My question: what is better? Chlorine or stuff I saw called Baqausil?

And is that it? Or do I need other types of chemicals, too?

I look forward to your advise

Mario

Ok, people, so far everyone here has been real helpful....So here's another series of questions. The situation right now is: The pool is clean and filled with 30000 gallons of clean water. The underground piping is pressure tested, and the pump runs. Strong jets of water can be felt coming out of the exhaust jets. So far so good. Then, a little bit of bad news: The DE filter was cracked on its top and also on its base. I had a pool guy look at it, and he said it is basically junk. So I am looking to buy a new DE filte. Now the current one is a Purex Triton Nautilus FNS36. First question is: Can I just arbitrarily replace that with ANY filter? Like maybe a Hayward? Or maybe a LARGER filter, like an FNS48? Should be possible, right? Which ones are the best for a 30,000 gallon inground pool? I'm looking around on Ebay hoping to find a bargain.

Right now, I have a valve in between the lines and the DE filter that either runs the water through the DE filter (which I now have bypassed with a straight piece of pipe, by the way) or to waste. A sales mean told me that I might need a new valve for a new DE filter. Why is this? Supposedly one that you can also backflush with or something.

Also, they said that I need to buy the DE earth stuff (hard to pronounce). How much do you buy, and where do you put it?

Once the DE filter is in place, we will be somewhere in May, and it will be time to open the pool. Now I have been reading about shocking the pool, and so on. My question: what is better? Chlorine or stuff I saw called Baqausil?

And is that it? Or do I need other types of chemicals, too?

I look forward to your advise

Mario

First if you are changing the filter there is a benefit with staying with the brand of filter that you currently have and that is you can use the exsisting backwash valve if it is in good condition. If you switch brands of filter you will have to switch the valve as yours wont mount to something like a Hayward. If I were in your situation I would do like you said and go with a fns48. That will give you a larger filter so you wont have to backwash as often. Im also not a big fan of Hayward equipment.

The DE that you are talking about comes in bags of 10lbs, 25lbs or 50lbs. and its pretty cheap.

On a pool the size of yours I would not recommend Baquasil or Softswim. A chlorine setup is going to be your best bet.