Owner Builder Pool

Goose

I am new to this forum, however I am not new to attempting to put a pool on my property. I can tell you my experience with pool contractors are that they are greedy, will not return phone calls, and deceptive. Bait and switch is real common. I contracted with a company in the North Bay area of California and after 7 months of them holding my deposite they finally gave it back. I have had prior bids for my pool which were in the range of $100,000 for a standard rectangle pool on a hillside! So I hired a consultant and will be an owner/builder. I have just began this process and will be having soils engineering conducted and then structural plans suitable for my design.

I have learned much by my own research, however I have not been hands on yet. I consider that the real test of experience. So I will attempt to keep tuned to this post to learn and share my experience.

I do have questions about equipment. Jandy is my consultant's choice of equipment products as a whole package. I believe because of the proedge warranty. Any ideas or is this a solid choice?

Thanks

I am new to this forum, however I am not new to attempting to put a pool on my property. I can tell you my experience with pool contractors are that they are greedy, will not return phone calls, and deceptive. Bait and switch is real common. I contracted with a company in the North Bay area of California and after 7 months of them holding my deposite they finally gave it back. I have had prior bids for my pool which were in the range of $100,000 for a standard rectangle pool on a hillside! So I hired a consultant and will be an owner/builder. I have just began this process and will be having soils engineering conducted and then structural plans suitable for my design.

I have learned much by my own research, however I have not been hands on yet. I consider that the real test of experience. So I will attempt to keep tuned to this post to learn and share my experience.

I do have questions about equipment. Jandy is my consultant's choice of equipment products as a whole package. I believe because of the proedge warranty. Any ideas or is this a solid choice?

Thanks

Interesting to hear your viewpoint of pool contractors. I interviewed many and found they are NOT knowledgeable on the better ways to do their job.

I live in the Santa Cruz area of California and had a pool company in San Jose install my pool last year. I was intimately involved in all steps of the construction and decision making. Being an engineer facilitated me in understanding their work.

I compiled about 8 pages of improvements most owners can make to their pools to reduce maintenance costs by 60-70%. If anyone wants a copy, I'll email it to you. I'm in the process of having it published.

Contact me at ***.Zscheile@attglobal.net for a copy.

Interesting to hear your viewpoint of pool contractors. I interviewed many and found they are NOT knowledgeable on the better ways to do their job.

I live in the Santa Cruz area of California and had a pool company in San Jose install my pool last year. I was intimately involved in all steps of the construction and decision making. Being an engineer facilitated me in understanding their work.

I compiled about 8 pages of improvements most owners can make to their pools to reduce maintenance costs by 60-70%. If anyone wants a copy, I'll email it to you. I'm in the process of having it published.

Contact me at ***.Zscheile@attglobal.net for a copy.

We are not from California, but I am questioning the need for a "consultant". How much are your paying the consultant? Why don't you just contact other pool owners and find out where they bought their pool(s) and how satisfied they are with the builder? Word of mouth is still the best form of advertising. BTW, Happy Easter!

We are not from California, but I am questioning the need for a "consultant". How much are your paying the consultant? Why don't you just contact other pool owners and find out where they bought their pool(s) and how satisfied they are with the builder? Word of mouth is still the best form of advertising. BTW, Happy Easter!

OK, the consultant in my case has many roles, he designs the pool around our needs, he provides the subs, and by paying the subs directly, not through a 3rd party, they (the subs) show up and do the job knowing they will be paid that day or when the job is complete.

Yes of course I have dealt with no less than 5 pool companies in our area for bids, and yes most with the exception of one, was way over our budget of $65,000. Try $100 to $125.000 for pool only due to our hillside condition. With consultant we are in budget for pool, and have decided to add stamped colored concrete due to reasonable costs for the work.

Consultant is $4000. Licensed and insured (believe me I checked).

If you are not comfortable dealing with legalities, contracts, or different phases of construction, then I would imagine a Pool company is going to be easier right? (not where I live). I have dealt with some fat cats here. Simple greed is not attractive to me, yes of course you are entitled to a profit for your work, however I cannot believe these guys would gouge families who want to provide a fun environment for their children, I wonder if they sleep well at night. If you do some checking, a lot of the guys involved are felons, drug users etc. I would rather make my own mistakes then deal with somebody high on the job!

I am venting sorry

Happy Easter, indeed he has risen!

OK, the consultant in my case has many roles, he designs the pool around our needs, he provides the subs, and by paying the subs directly, not through a 3rd party, they (the subs) show up and do the job knowing they will be paid that day or when the job is complete.

Yes of course I have dealt with no less than 5 pool companies in our area for bids, and yes most with the exception of one, was way over our budget of $65,000. Try $100 to $125.000 for pool only due to our hillside condition. With consultant we are in budget for pool, and have decided to add stamped colored concrete due to reasonable costs for the work.

Consultant is $4000. Licensed and insured (believe me I checked).

If you are not comfortable dealing with legalities, contracts, or different phases of construction, then I would imagine a Pool company is going to be easier right? (not where I live). I have dealt with some fat cats here. Simple greed is not attractive to me, yes of course you are entitled to a profit for your work, however I cannot believe these guys would gouge families who want to provide a fun environment for their children, I wonder if they sleep well at night. If you do some checking, a lot of the guys involved are felons, drug users etc. I would rather make my own mistakes then deal with somebody high on the job!

I am venting sorry

Happy Easter, indeed he has risen!

Good Luck, Goose, hope everything comes in on time and on budget.

Thanks

It's too bad that you had bad experiences. We are not all like that. I work for a company with a solid reputation with thousands of satisfied customers. We tackle large/complex jobs like yours a lot. As far as price, all I can say is that on complex jobs, the things like soil analysis, design, etc...do add up. Most pool builders don't have the ability to do these things in house, so they have to sub it out and that's probably the main culprit of your high numbers.

On the Jandy equipment, I have to agree with your consultant. They have one of the best warranties in the business. We do a lot of consulting with them on various projects and they are an extremely well run company. Plus they are based in CA which is a plus for you.

Also, they are coming out with a redesign of the stealth pumps very soon with the addition of a couple of new pumps to the product line. I would insist on these, major improvements over what they have now.

It's too bad that you had bad experiences. We are not all like that. I work for a company with a solid reputation with thousands of satisfied customers. We tackle large/complex jobs like yours a lot. As far as price, all I can say is that on complex jobs, the things like soil analysis, design, etc...do add up. Most pool builders don't have the ability to do these things in house, so they have to sub it out and that's probably the main culprit of your high numbers.

On the Jandy equipment, I have to agree with your consultant. They have one of the best warranties in the business. We do a lot of consulting with them on various projects and they are an extremely well run company. Plus they are based in CA which is a plus for you.

Also, they are coming out with a redesign of the stealth pumps very soon with the addition of a couple of new pumps to the product line. I would insist on these, major improvements over what they have now.

Thank you for you advice on Jandy. Rather than continue to research equipment I will take your advice as well as my consultants. And the advice of the previous post about energy savings by using 2 stage or variable speed pumps, larger plumbing, and covers. The soils engineer is ariving Monday to take samples with a backhoe! I will then have specific engineered plans for my site. Your right, it is expensive, probably total of 6 to 7 thousand for soils and structural engineering. My County is going to require it all of it anyways!

I am excited that I am moving forward on this project, my son is 17 months old and I my wife would like him in the pool NOW!

Thank you for your insight and advice. Your right, I should not stereotype pool contractors as hoodlums. Pools must be a hot commodity in California and they are in demand! I just wanted to be treated fairly and as a paying customer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for you advice on Jandy. Rather than continue to research equipment I will take your advice as well as my consultants. And the advice of the previous post about energy savings by using 2 stage or variable speed pumps, larger plumbing, and covers. The soils engineer is ariving Monday to take samples with a backhoe! I will then have specific engineered plans for my site. Your right, it is expensive, probably total of 6 to 7 thousand for soils and structural engineering. My County is going to require it all of it anyways!

I am excited that I am moving forward on this project, my son is 17 months old and I my wife would like him in the pool NOW!

Thank you for your insight and advice. Your right, I should not stereotype pool contractors as hoodlums. Pools must be a hot commodity in California and they are in demand! I just wanted to be treated fairly and as a paying customer.

Don't be such a cheapskate! You pay for what you get. Hire a good reputal pool contractor and you won't have some drug user, or rip off artist coming to your house and gouging your mothy pocket book. I suggest you check your local BBB and ask some of us pool owners for the company that built our pools. You just have to be willing to pay a little more for good quality. Since your in California, I bet you got a big bottom line anyway.

=========================================

Anyone installing a new pool or replacing their filter pump should seriously consider a VARIABLE SPEED PUMP. It's a pump design used for years in other industries and which is finally reaching the swimming pool industry. It saves much electricity and still does a fine job. Can be used well with Jandy RS-x series controllers. See www.IKERIC.com for a source of these pumps which are available in several sizes.

Very low speed pumps running longer can save alot of electricity and still do a fine job. I installed one last year and I probably save 65% of the electricity others spend for the same tasks.

Most pool contractors don't know about it so you'll have to research it out and insist they answer questions about it - otherwise get another contractor who is up to date on new methods. Check your utility energy saving programs - PG&E gives a $300 rebate.

:):rolleyes:

==========================================

Don't be such a cheapskate! You pay for what you get. Hire a good reputal pool contractor and you won't have some drug user, or rip off artist coming to your house and gouging your mothy pocket book. I suggest you check your local BBB and ask some of us pool owners for the company that built our pools. You just have to be willing to pay a little more for good quality. Since your in California, I bet you got a big bottom line anyway.

You make it sound as though it's a bad thing to try and save some money on a project. Actually for some people it's not so much about the money as it is that it can be fun to learn and do some stuff yourself. For me I look at it in a couple of ways. Money that I save is that much more that we have to spend on other stuff and in the end I enjoy something just as much if not more if I get the same result for less money.

I can tell you in CA, with the cost of everything most of us need to save money everywhere they can. So I say be as cheap as you can. Your kids will thank you for it, in that you will need to spend that much less time working and more time with them.