Gunite Vs. Shotcrete

JodiGirl

• 3 months later...

I am in Southern California and am beginning the bidding process for the second time - did this almost 4 years ago when we first bought this home but was so overwhelmed and confused (not to mention sticker-shocked) that we gave up and moved on.

Now we want to try again. A company that is coming over tomorrow uses only shotcrete. Please! Does any one have experience or knowledge of this material and the use of shotcrete v. gunite?

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll have a few dozen more questions to follow. So glad I found this forum - maybe we can make it all the way this time! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Taking bids on bldg. pool in Tampa, FL. Newest co. uses Shotcrete vs. Grunite implying the premix is better than depending on human mixing, the bonding agents in shotcrete more stable, etc. Any opinions on this subject??

I did a report on gunite back in my college days a few years ago and I believe shotcrete is a trademark name and basicly the same as gunite. Gunite gets its great p.s.i rating from the speed it is shot on to the surface and the resulting rebound effect. The resulting tight compaction of the concrete is quite more dense and therefore, stronger. Also the dryer the mix the stronger the concrete. The amount of air that is entrained into the concrete along with sand type, ash, etc.. all add into the strength calculation. Back when I did the report, gunite could reach around 7800 p.s.i., close to double that of a six sack placed mix. I think truthfully rebar or added glass fiber along with acrylic admixtures to the mix is the largest contributor to the success of your project along with stable soil and its compaction. There are also six types of cement that can be used. Can your contractor tell you anything except portland and maybe type II. If not. I wouldn't value the opinion between shotc.. and gunite. I not in the concrete or pool business but if I were you I would research a whole bunch for the amount of money your about to spend. Good Luck!