New Circuit Install 50 Amp 220v - 100ft $1,000

dazzla

Hi,

I'm getting a Spa from a neighbor that requires a 50 amp 220 volt connection. So far I have 1 quote from an electrician (getting at least 1 more) that seams high to me. The quote is for $1,000 and judging by the details where we want the spa is 100ft from the panel (opposite corners of the house). Here are the details:

SCOPE OF WORK:

A. Disconnect the existing spa located at NEIGHBORS HOUSE.

B. Remove the raintight non-metallic flex from the 50 amp GFI disconnect device.

2. The following work will be installed at MY HOUSE:

A. Install one dedicated 50 amp 4-wire 240 volt dedicated circuit from the main electrical panel to the new spa location in the back yard near patio door.

B. Install a 2-pole GFI disconnect device five ft. from location of the spa.

C. Install final electrical to the spa.

XXX WILL PROVIDE AND INSTALL THE FOLLOWING:

1 - 2-pole 50 amp Square D Homeline breaker

1 - 2-pole 50 amp GFI breaker

1 - 50 amp R/T disconnect device

100 ft. - #6/4 Romex copper wire

10 ft. - 3/4" non-metallic R/T flex

10 ft. - 3/4" EMT conduit

1 - 2-gang bell box

1 - 2-gang bell box blank

4 - #1 insulated Polaris taps

1 - 3/4" LB

#8 THHN wire

#6 THHN wire

Labor

Does this look expensive or about right for Northern California?

Many thanks

My run was less then yours - maybe 30' from panel to subpanel, then 10' back to spa.

Mine was $600 + parts, new install, I pulled the permit myself. Parts came to $300 and I had the subpanel - it was for 1 20 amp & 1 30 amp/220 service.

Sounds like its in the ball park. Does Northern CA == bay area? I'm in San Jose. He broke the parts out, did he price it as parts + labor?

Been about 25 years since I lived in California, so I'm not sure of costs, but here in the greater Chicagoland I can tell you you're looking at $225 just for the #6/4!! $120 for a SqD QO 50 amp gfi(I believe the homeline was about 90), all the other stuff adds up too. All in all it really sounds reasonable to me. I just upgraded mine last weekend from 110V, so the cost of materials is painfully fresh. I did it myself and took the better part of eight hours, had to go thru 2 rooms and a crawlspace, then up an outside wall and back under the deck. #6/4 is abit like wrestling an anaconda!! The only thing I would question is the dual breakers? just one GFI in the panel and a cheap disconect is all thats needed here, could be a Cali thing tho.... Good Luck, sounds like a deal to me ;)

Fish

My run was less then yours - maybe 30' from panel to subpanel, then 10' back to spa.

Mine was $600 + parts, new install, I pulled the permit myself. Parts came to $300 and I had the subpanel - it was for 1 20 amp & 1 30 amp/220 service.

Sounds like its in the ball park. Does Northern CA == bay area? I'm in San Jose. He broke the parts out, did he price it as parts + labor?

Northern CA != bay area. I'm in the Sacramento/Folsom/El Dorado Hills area.

He just gave me a price for the whole thing and didn't break it down at all.

Been about 25 years since I lived in California, so I'm not sure of costs, but here in the greater Chicagoland I can tell you you're looking at $225 just for the #6/4!! $120 for a SqD QO 50 amp gfi(I believe the homeline was about 90), all the other stuff adds up too. All in all it really sounds reasonable to me. I just upgraded mine last weekend from 110V, so the cost of materials is painfully fresh. I did it myself and took the better part of eight hours, had to go thru 2 rooms and a crawlspace, then up an outside wall and back under the deck. #6/4 is abit like wrestling an anaconda!! The only thing I would question is the dual breakers? just one GFI in the panel and a cheap disconect is all thats needed here, could be a Cali thing tho.... Good Luck, sounds like a deal to me ;)

Fish

I think my neighbor only has one GFI and a disconnect, but of course that doesn't mean that setup meets codes.

I'm in Albuquerque. With the price of wiring these days, going price seems to be around $8-$10/foot. My run is 80ft,

I was quoted $800. The run is pretty easy too.

I have a friend who will do it for a few hundred less, but I think I'll pay the premium, in my case.

Northern CA != bay area. I'm in the Sacramento/Folsom/El Dorado Hills area.

He just gave me a price for the whole thing and didn't break it down at all.

Still, sounds close enough... I'd pull a permit if I were you, especially if you can do it online (in SJ, an online "new electrical appliance" permit was about $180.) If the above quote already includes the permit as well, then it's a pretty good deal. As others have pointed out you're looking at at least $300-400, if not more, in materials alone. So you've got maybe $600 in labor

Ok many thanks for everyones replies. It's good to know this quote is fair. I checked out his contractors license and the BBB and that all looks good as well.

The permit is not included in the quote. El Dorado County does not have online submissions but it looks as though it will only cost me $50. Should I expect the contractor to give me all the information needed to submit? Looks like I need a Floor and Electrical plan. General Non-Structural Permits Plan Requirements

The reqs depend on the local area, For me/San Jose, I didn't need any plans at all. Just the contractor name and license #. He should be willing to give you the needed info.

These are the requirements according to the county web site I linked to:

4. FLOOR PLAN(S) Show location or area of proposed mechanical, electrical or plumbing work. Label all rooms. Use a scale of ¼” = 1'0". Partial floor plans are ok.

6. ELECTRICAL/MECHANICAL PLAN identifying all existing and new outlets, switches, lights, smoke detectors, mechanical equipment and the main panel ampacity and location. (Main and associated branch circuit only needed for mechanical equipment installation) Electrical and mechanical may be illustrated on the Floor Plan.

A plan of all existing circuits as well as new sounds like a lot of work to me.

Icky. Might want to call the permit/planning office and see. I would think a simple sketch of the exterior showing the existing electrical (outside) and the new stuff along with the spa location would do. I would think all they need to verify is that the subpanel is in view and at least 5' from the tub.

Heads up - in San Jose at least they require a three prong GFI exterior outlet "nearby" if you have a pool/spa (for your radio, as the inspector said.) Fortunately for us, we had just added one of those on our new porch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I ended up getting 2 more quotes. One was $1,200 the other $800. The guy that quoted $800 came highly recommended so I went with him and it was done with no problems.

Once I fix the leaky circulation pump I'll be good to go.

Many thanks for everyones input. It's very much appreciated.

I wired mine last week in a very similar situation. I bought 6-3 Teck x 110 feet x 15 per meter at Home Depot (they had to beat Rona - HD was priced at $27+ per meter!) and $139 for the 60A 220V GFCI breaker at Costco. It's a Siemens so it even fit in my Cutler panel.

I was going to run normal indoor wire in the house to a junction, then Teck from there to the tub (outside) but by the time you splice that big wire and get all the parts and pieces to do it right, it was the same price or less to just run Teck the whole way and not have to bother splicing. It took me about an hour and a half to two hours to run it all and tie it in, if that helps you.