Pump Selection For In-ground With Equipment Below Water Level

Dennis

I am putting in an in-ground fiberglass pool. I have to build a retaining wall due to the grade. The retaining wall will be about 3-4 foot above grade on the backside. I want to put my pool equipment behind the retaining wall to hide it from view. Therefore, the equipment will be about 2-3 foot below the water level. Should I use a conventional type in-ground pool pump or is there another type pump that should be used for this type installation since there won't be a need for a self priming pump. I am also building a rock waterfall feature. What type pump configuration is required for a water feature? This installation is a (16X34 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 deep) DIY with the pool manufacture doing the pool set. I will be contracting and doing the rest myself. Any recommendation and help would be appreciated.

I am putting in an in-ground fiberglass pool. I have to build a retaining wall due to the grade. The retaining wall will be about 3-4 foot above grade on the backside. I want to put my pool equipment behind the retaining wall to hide it from view. Therefore, the equipment will be about 2-3 foot below the water level. Should I use a conventional type in-ground pool pump or is there another type pump that should be used for this type installation since there won't be a need for a self priming pump. I am also building a rock waterfall feature. What type pump configuration is required for a water feature? This installation is a (16X34 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 deep) DIY with the pool manufacture doing the pool set. I will be contracting and doing the rest myself. Any recommendation and help would be appreciated.

A flooded suction for any pool pump is better for the pump. some of the cheaper ones may leak at the lid if the pump is turned off. look for a good sized basket and a screw on lid.

on the water fall the pump needs to be sized to the amount of water you need over the water fall. also the suction for the water fall needs to be sized right.

jeff grotte

I would put a loop in the plumbing so that the pipes go above the water level then go down to the pump. This will make repairing and maintaining equipment and aboveground pipes easier as you will not have the water pressure from the pool affecting the pipes. You still need shut off valves or you will have to empty the pipes of water everytime you open your pump lid to get debris from the basket. And yes a self priming pool pump is preferable because of the strainer lid is a perfect seal and if you put in the loop it will need priming ability.

As for water feature, I suggest it's own pump. You will have to determine how much water you desire to be coming from the feature and then choose a pump with adequate flow rate. I put seperate suctions in and the pump runs as an unimpeded loop.

Pat Fitzgerald

SunbuiltPools.com

actually, 3' below the water is not so bad. any conventional pool pump will do. If putting the hartford loop conflicts with you landscaping, etc...then you could leave it out. I would make sure you install quality shutoff valves on all suction and return lines. Jandy neverlube comes to mind. also install a check valve on the return line after the heater and chlorinator.

On the waterfall, the configuration (shared w/system vs. seperate suct and return) will dictate the type of system you need. depending on what size the waterfall is and how much flow you want. some people want a mild stream and others will want white water rapids. If you want something a couple of feet wide with water trickling down, you can split the pool return and run it off your system. If you want a 10 footer with some roaring action, I would plumb it with minimum 3hp pump on a 3" or 4" line.

Since you mentioned that you are plumbing it yourself, I would recommend 2" lines all around for your filter system. This will be mandatory for any pump over 1.5hp. It's ok to oversize these lines because you severly neck them down at the returns with directional eyeballs. If you undersize them, you are stuck.

also, on a below grade installation with a heater, you might have to calibrate the pressure switch. If you don't, the heater could continue to fire with no water running through it because the pressure of the water from above will be enough to close the pressure switch (most use 2psi to close) only adjust the switch to get the heater to shut off, not to get it to turn on.....

• 11 years later...

Hello forum members! My first post. I hope this is the right spot.

I am setting up a newer used cedar hot tub (4 month old). This forum has been a great aid. I am adding this post to this thread because I am locating equipment roughly 8 feet below waterline in my basement so gas heater can run year round. I have contacted the manufacturer but .... I am looking for a solution for a new flow switch. The manual has only a short paragraph that states anything 5 feet below waterline will require a flow switch. There are many to choose from. Can someone recommend good one for my system (repairable)? How many amps? I will be on 2" pvc line.

Also any tips on pluming it in and location would be greatly appreciated. 

I am plumbing in an intelliflo vs (new), a pentair C&C 75, a Mastertemp 125, Sunshine ionizer, a valve actuator will operate return valve to split flow between filter line/heater and jet line.

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by ecstatic
more to say