Pool Newbie

I bought a house with an inground liner pool, approx 15 by 30 feet. It had a cover on it, but the water was sewer like, and very green. I dumped all the sand out of the filter, havent refilled yet, i chemically treated the pool, it made all the green stuff go to the bottom, anyways with out a second pump to clean the bottom, ive decided to drain the pool, it is currently drained, with appox 10 inches left over the drains, this pool has 2 drains , the pump wouldnt drain it completely. As the pool sits right now, its virtually empty, i need to still lighty scrub the liner to get some stains off, but where do i start. We kind of figured the pump wouldnt pull all the water out, but maybe it should, it did pump out alot of green slime an goo out to the ditch line. But we did clean out the strainer by the pump when filled. THis system i guess is the standard, 2 jets in the pool, skimmer, and 2 bottom drains in the deep end, its a 1hp motor, with about a 250 lb sand filter. My question is,, what do i do now, how do i go about putting water back in it, and making sure it stays clean. This pool was close to being a pond, because of the lack of use. But its in the backyard, liner is good, and has great concrete work. Any help would be much appreciated. THanks

Open up every single garden hose you have to refill the pool fast. The pool should not stay in the hot sun without water, or the plaster will blister and crack, which means that you will need to replaster, a cost of between $3000 and $7000 ouch!!!

To keep it clean, make sure you open up the filter and the pump debris basket to clean them thoroughly. Then depending on the water quantity, put the right amount of conditioner in the water and chlorine. Keep maintaining the chemical levels correctly.

My question is,, what do i do now, how do i go about putting water back in it, and making sure it stays clean. This pool was close to being a pond, because of the lack of use. But its in the backyard, liner is good, and has great concrete work. Any help would be much appreciated. THanks

You could use a 10 gallon shop vac and suck the rest of the water out. Might take a few dumps, but you'd get it. Then fill it up fast!

Oh, if you have a sump pump or pool cover pump, that would be even better! If don't have one, and you know people with a pool, ask if they have one you could borrow.

First thing as others have indicated is get water in there ASAP. You mention a liner - liners will only stretch once and if it has shrunk up you are going to have SERIOUS problems.

Get to know about pool chemistry. This is a good reference http://www.wikihow.com/Properly-Maintain-S...Water-Chemistry. A pool with bad chemistry will never get clear. I would fill it, shock it, put in algaecide. Then get a product called First Aid for Pools. It will settle all the debris and junk to settle to the bottom. Then Vaccuum all of that stuff to waste. Then you've got a good start. If need be they make a contraption that attaches to your garden hose that works as a vaccuum for solids.