Electric Costs Of Inground Pool In Ca

• 4 weeks later...

It will go up quite a bit. Our bill went from around 100 a month to about 300 a month running our pump for the reccomended minimum of 8 hours per day. So, if your pool is smaller than ours (16 by 32) you may be able to run it for less time. Oh, we pay 15 cents per kilowatt hour here. I'm sure you can do the math when compared to your rates. I hope this helps.

Jerry Materne

Interesting question. To add to that, is it better to run the pool pump for 8 hours at once, or break it up over 24 hours? Is 1 hour on, 2 off repeated all day (8 runs) better than say 6 hours during the day and 2 hours in the middle of the night? Or would it be better to run for a minimum of 2 hours at a run (so 2 on, 4 off, 4 times a day)? Also, by running in multiple small sets of time, can I run for 4 or 6 hours instead of 8?

Your comment about bigger pumps made me think. How can I determine the amount of water my pump and filter will move per hour? And then how many times should all the water in my pool be filtered per 24 hour period? How many hours does it take to filter all of the water in my pool one time?