Tiger River Bengalm - Heat?

BubbaC

Newbie, be gentle....

Bought a 2005 Tiger River Bengal M and converted to 230v. Has been running for 40 hours and the max temp it will reach is 89 degrees. Kept the cover on for 24 hours.

Control board light says the heater is on. I can reduce the set temp to less than water temp and can hear the heater relay disengage and heater light goes off. The green "Lim OK" light is on and the red jet light on the control board comes on when the Jets button is pressed.

Jumpers on the control board are positioned as stated in the manual after a conversion to 230v. Electrical supply is coming from my main electrical service meter box to a sub pannel then on to the spa. Wiring connections were done by a professional electrician, so I ASSUME they are correct.

Circulation pump is running. As a matter of fact everthing works as it is suppose to, execpt the heater.

The heater is a No-Fault 6000 Watkins part number 0927501, manufacture date of 02/05. It is my understanding that connected at 230v the heater is rated at 6000w. I would think it shouldn't take a day and a half the heat the water, even to 89 degrees.

The original owner had the unit connected at 115v and the heater worked. The unit sat unused for about a year after I bought it and was never connected to eletricity.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance......

Start by finding and pushing the reset button on the heater. It will not reset if the heater is over 90 degrees. So if it is, shut off all power to the spa and let it sit (covered) for an hour or two. Then push the reset button.The temp in the spa doesn't matter, only the temp in the heater. With the power on the water will be moving through the heater, so shut it off completely, wait, and push the button.

If that doesn't help, you will need a meter to troubleshoot this one.

There should be a single-pole breaker, rated at 20 amps, which goes to the #2 and #4or5 connectors on the power block. This is most likely just fine, since you report that the spa runs normally except for heating. BTW - the circ pump will run this spa up to about 95 or so all by itself over a period of days.

Next, there should be a two-pole breaker, rated at 30 amps, which feeds only the two hot wires to the #1 and #3 connectors on the power block. If you meter across the #1 and #2 connectors, you should see 208 to about 220volts. That would indicate that the spa is wired correctly.

Then, unplug the black and white wires which go to the heater. Meter the output to see if you have power going to the heater. Should be 220 ish. If the 'heater on' LED is lit, but you do not have power going to the heater, the fault is in the relay board. If you have power going to the heater but it's not heating, you might just need to reset the heater. Meter the heater with the meter set on resistance (Ohms) and see if you have around 12 ohms give or take. If it is open or infinite, try to reset the heater one more time. Try hard. You have to push hard enough to make your finger hurt.

If you cannot reset the heater, and if you have power going to the heater but no heat, you will need to replace the heater itself.

HTH

B)