Portable Hot Tub for Family

Neuner

Now that our patio is wrapping up in construction, would like to add a hot tub for the family if possible.  Have been trying to find out more on portable hot tubs that aren't inflatables but it's been difficult so I'm hoping for recommendations.

• Access to the backyard is tight and therefore hoping for a hot tub that we can carry and/or assemble in the back.
  • Capacity for 5 adults if possible so the kids can join us, although it will probably be rare.
  • 120v power if possible.
  • Has an insulated cover.
  • Not sure what to expect as far as cost.  Hoping they can be purchased for less than $3k but I highly doubt it.

Will be used a lot at 1st, until the new-ness wears off, and then more periodic.

Thanks!

On 6/27/2023 at 3:29 PM, Neuner said:

Access to the backyard is tight and therefore hoping for a hot tub that we can carry and/or assemble in the back.

Many hot tubs can be placed on their side and installed using a dolly.  Measure the width of the doorway or openings, this is the max height of the spa without the cover.    In extreme scenarios, they do sell 3-seater spas which are 5 feet by 7 feet and 29 inches tall to fit through narrow door ways on their side.

120v power if possible.

120V spas have their pros and cons. First know that the heater and the jet pump do not run concurrently - in warmer climates this isn't a problem.  In colder climates you might lose heat rapidly with the cover off and jets running (losing several degrees per 30 minutes).  Some 120v spas can be wired to a 220v setup, this allows you to run the heater concurrently with the jets, it does NOT make the jet pump run at a higher horsepower.

MOST 120v spas are actually built to work on 110v at lower wattage so they can plug into the average loaded homeowner's 15-amp circuit in someone's house and *maybe* not blow out the breaker when it's running.    They are also often poorly insulated (reduce manufacturing costs and reduce shipping costs) so they are not very energy efficient.  (You can often add more insulation to a tub after delivery to increase energy efficiency on budget grade tubs, but buyer beware - not all tubs are equally energy efficient).

This unfortunately gives all 120v spas a bad reputation.  I have a luxury 115V Hotspring Jetsetter which retails for around $10k these days (varies depending on dealer) - in my warmer climate I only really need the heater for 2-3 months out of the year and the jets are strong enough for my needs (plus since I soak alone most of the time, I didn't need more than three seats).  It has a lot of features not usually found on most other 110v spas (things like low-power circulation pump, saltwater capabilities, etc)

Just know that there are limitations to 120v spas.  They will all get water hot, but not all of them can keep the water hot for long enough.  And not all have the strongest jets.

That said, if I were on a budget, Nordic makes a few good bang-for-buck 110v versions of their spas.  They're not the cheapest plug-n-play spas, but they build a quality spa for the overall price.

Has an insulated cover.

Most all spas include an insulated cover.  Some brands have better covers than others.  Some brands include the cover for free, other shady dealers try to nickle and dime and charge for the cover.  Not all dealers are created equal - I can't stress that enough.

Note - covers won't last long if you don't clean/condition them regularly.   Covers can be expensive so the more you protect your cover (from the weather and sunlight) the longer it'll last.

Not sure what to expect as far as cost.  Hoping they can be purchased for less than $3k but I highly doubt it.

Go back to 2010 and maybe that would have been a reasonable budget.  These days for what you've described, you're looking at $6000 to $10,000 and upwards to 20k for a large luxury spa.

You're paying a lot for the local dealer's warranty.  There will be service issues and you will want a local expert to help sort out manufacturing defects over the first few years.

Industry average lifespan is 7-14 years depending on care/maintenance.  A budget spa might not last a decade while a top tier luxury spa MIGHT last 20+ years with proper care.

If that's too far out of budget, my advice is to consider researching the used market.  The best deals flip fast, but if you ONLY look at fully working spas (filled with water, running, etc) recently listed, you can often find a good luxury spa in your budget of $3k.   But you need to look daily because they pop up and disappear fast..  The secret is to never buy a drained/empty spa even if it's free hahaha.