Balboa Control

Dave_G

Hi

Hoping someone can help me out.

I have a Viking Spa with a Balboa Instrument Control (model # WH-LITELD-CCAJ). I went to use the spa yesterday and the control display is showing the temperature counting up and down by 2's. The display changes about every second or so. It displays 80, then 82, then 84, up to 104, then 102, then 100, etc. down to 80. It just keeps going through this cycle. It does not acknowledge me pressing any button. The filter pump is running continuously and the heater does cycle on/off according to the temperture set.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Hi

Hoping someone can help me out.

I have a Viking Spa with a Balboa Instrument Control (model # WH-LITELD-CCAJ). I went to use the spa yesterday and the control display is showing the temperature counting up and down by 2's. The display changes about every second or so. It displays 80, then 82, then 84, up to 104, then 102, then 100, etc. down to 80. It just keeps going through this cycle. It does not acknowledge me pressing any button. The filter pump is running continuously and the heater does cycle on/off according to the temperture set.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the temperature adjustment button on the topside controller is 'stuck'. It might be that the actual physical button is 'stuck' but more likely is that the keyboard scanning software is not updating the button status properly. To check, unplug the topside controller from the main controller and see if the temperature setting cycling stops. ( The only way to tell would be to see if the heater is still turning on and off...maybe feel the water coming out of the port to see if it gets warm when the heater kicks on.) If the cycling keeps going even with the keypad unplugged, then the problem is the software. The best thing would be to find some way to 'reboot' it. Not sure how you would do that with your model but what you want to do is get it to restart with default values instead of the ones stored in flash memory so just turning the power on and off will not do it. If there are little 'dip' switches on the controller, you can power down, change one of them, and then power up for a minute or two and then shut down and switch it back and then power it back up and that might have done it. Repeat that process once or twice with a different switch might do it if the first switch does not. Otherwise, call Balboa for ideas.

Sometimes this kind of problem happens because the processor built into the system is not real speedy and when people push the buttons too fast, the processor isn't 'ready' for the next push and gets 'confused.' I make my kids count to three before they push another button and never have any problems.

• 16 years later...