Starting from scratch

StevieS

Hi everyone, new to the forum.
I have nothing but a shell, mounted in a sturdy framework. The shell does still have it's plumbing.  

The old Century pump was toast, as was the heater, so I gutted the whole thing. This hot tub setup is/was so old that the heater/pump/filter configuration was external to the hot tub itself in it's own enclosure, instead of inside the hot tub cabinet.  I'd like to change that.  The shell, though old and only 4-6 jets, is in great shape and we like it.

I’ve done some reading and research, but I’m looking for recommendations on a new spa pack (controller), pump and filter, to install in the hot tub cabinet, like they have been in the past 30 years!

The pvc piping is all 2” as far as I know.
The old Century pump’s specs were:
230V/60Hz
2 speed
1 hp / .12
3450/1725 RPM
7.9 / 1.8 A

I'm starting with a blank canvas.  Can I match any spa pack to any spa pump (voltages/current/speeds taken into consideration)?  Are there any hard, fast rules when it comes to pairing the two?  For instance, I was thinking of a 1hp pump (with similar ratings of the old pump noted above) to, say a Balboa 2 speed, 240V 5.5kW controller.  Are there any caveats I should be wary of?  I'm comfortable doing my own electrical and plumbing, I've got experience in both, just not hot tub systems in particular.  I have the original air pump (120V) but no ozonator (do I need one?)  Are my questions too broad?  

I'm shootin' in the dark, an uncomfortable feeling for sure..  I’d appreciate any advice or help!

Steve