Help! Hot Tub Treatment

Pikadex

Hello, everyone!

I need a bit of help with my hot tub, as I am a very new owner and have some questions regarding treatment.

So, the tub is a 500 gallon spa, and I started off with using the starter kit treatment pack that came with the spa upon purchase, and it contained chlorine granules, total care oxidizer, and pH adjustment acids. I have since switched to a different brand, and now I am using Leisure Time spa treatment, which is basically in three different steps. Control, Boost, and Free. I am not really a fan of these products, as they aren't very easy for me to dose on a weekly basis.

Right now, my tub water is clear, but whenever I put the jets on, the water turns white and little yellow/brown bubbles start to form around the sides of the tub. I really need to understand why this happens, and what I need to be doing to prevent this in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.  Search this forum for "ahh-some"  or "ahhsome" .  Lots of good info here.   Bottom line is that new spas are often contaminated with biofilm right from the factory/dealer, the normal startup shock treatment is woefully insufficient,  and most dealers and mfgs have their heads in the sand on this topic.  

After nearky 30 years of experience ive learned three things

1.  The above 

2.  "Dichlor then switch to bleach" works well, both for bromine and chlorine spas

3.  An interesting product known as "hot tub serum"  is making my life even better, in epic proportions.   It solved the vacation problem (no floaters) and improved my chlorine consumption and sanitizer decay rate.  I hate gimmicks especially those found in spa stores (scum ball comes to mind.  No need for that any more) but this serum stuff is real