Tiger River Caspian Hi-Limit Tripping

johnnycomet

Ok, there are plenty of "blinking power light" threads on here but I'm trying to make sure I don't waste $ !! 

I've got a 2008 Tiger River Caspian and the hi limit keeps being triggered. I've replaced the circulation pump with a newer model along with hi limit and the thermistor.  The circ pump flow seems fine- lots of bubbles. The filter is "reasonably" new. I disconnected the ozone a while back, but this problem showed up long after...When I reset the breakers, the tub gets reasonably hot but after a while it stops heating and the blinking power light starts; the DC17 LED on the IQ2020 board lights up. Both the heater and the connection IQ2020 LEDs light up when I reset the breakers. There doesn't seem to be any visible problems with the relay. 

Now, I've seen some white calcium buildup on the outside/bottom of the heater and high limit/thermistor recently. Is this the problem? I don't have scale in the main tub. I have never used Spa System Flush or similar but maybe I should have...! I have had a few rodent visitors in the area but it doesn't appear they have done any damage. 

Should I replace the heater? Would just flushing it work or is it too late? Any tips would be appreciated before I spend the dough. 
JC