Homemade In-ground Pool Heater?

gil_happy

Hello,

After performing a quick online search for a 'propane pool heater', a number of options came back that ranged between $1100 and $2000!  To me this seems quite expensive considering the price of most consumer goods has come way down in price over the years.

I was wondering if anyone knows about, or has seen any type of economical homemade, or DYI propane pool heater?  I currently have a 10,000 gallon, in-ground pool (salt) and I'm investigating whether or not there are any type of DYI propane based pool heaters (or any other inexpensive fuel source).  It seems like there should definitely be some type of solution out there and it could be something as simple as a heating element that sits in the water (protected of course) and is heated by the propane vs something that pumps the water and recirculates it through in internal element which is what I assume these devices I found online are doing.

Thanks in advance!