Saving Hydro costs

I need help with Hydro costs!!!!

When i installed my inground pool, i made a stupid mistake.  I chose to install my pool equipment beside my house, instead of beside my pool - because it was hidden and looked nicer.  The pool is at the bottom of a 10 ft downslope behind my house, which means the pool pump is 10-12 ft above the height of the water, and about 50 ft away from the closest edge of the pool.

This works, but it means that my pump pretty much needs to run 24/7 in order to maintain suction, so using a timer hasn't been an option. I used to have a 1.5hp, but it burnt out after a 1.5 seasons.

I have a 2.0 HP hayward superpump, that costs about $150/month in hydro costs just for the pump based on my local (very expensive) rates.

I'd like to solve this problem and reduce my hydro costs.  I've looked into variable speed pumps, but I was told by a couple dealers that spending that money wouldn't really solve the problem, since they would most likely run in the highest speed due in order to maintain suction.

I'm considering the idea of using a timer, with a check valve installed before the pump on the intake, so when the timer is off the check valve will maintain suction.

Something like this:

http://www.jandy.com/~/media/media-database/products/valves/check-valve/7235_180checkvalve_2.jpg

Thoughts?  Anybody have any experience in this area or can offer any alternative suggestions?

I've heard there are DC powered pumps that consume way less electricity than AC powered pumps, but when I asked my dealer about them they hadn't heard of them.  The only thing I could find was ecopump (http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/pool-pump-reviews.html) but they don't seem to have a dealer in my area. 

Any help here or suggestions would truely be appreciated.