Superchlorination

Cooper772

Doing a Tub decon. Have finished the flush cleaned and drained. Its filling now then I will balance the water and will add 50ppm of chlorine. I'm a little concerned about letting that water out and letting it drain down the road and onto the edge of neighbors yards. Should I be that concerned about that? would It be a waste of time if I shock to only about 25ppm? I have read about hydrogen peroxide to lower the chlorine but, saw that someone had mentioned they didn't recommend doing that, I think because if to much is left behind after the dump it could cause trouble with the new fill. one last thing, after the fill before I add the chlorine, can I balance with cold water or should i let it warm up? Thanks in advance.

You can dechlorinate using hydrogen peroxide.  It takes roughly the same volume of 3% hydrogen peroxide to dechlorinate the same volume of 6% bleach so figure roughly how much 6% bleach it would take to get to 50 ppm in your spa and then use that amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide to neutralize it.

I don't know why anyone says not to use hydrogen peroxide to neutralize the chlorine.  The combination reaction results in sodium chloride salt and oxygen gas.  If you overdose the hydrogen peroxide then some chlorine that is added will be neutralized, but if you dump and refill that shouldn't matter since you'll be dumping the hydrogen peroxide.