Aging Spa Repairs, Starting With Pump

I have a 20-year old spa that is in a roofed gazebo, so the shell is in pretty good shape (as far as I can tell). However the pump motor has burned out. It's a Sta-rite Max E Pro 2.25 HP Dual-speed 230V model. The wet end is fine, but I have seen some recommendations that it's better to replace the whole pump than its components. So, assuming that is correct, should I stick with the same pump or are there newer/better/cheaper options i should look at. Replacement cost seems to be about $750. The jets are pretty good but it would be nice to have a little more power when both sets are open at the same time. I don't really know how to safely determine the maximum power the plumbing can support.

The spa heater is fine, but is the same age and has none of the automation (poolside or remote control) one would expect from a newer unit. It's a teledyne-laars natural gas heater. I like natural gas but I the automated systems I've seen seem to use electric heat only. Any suggestions there?

Thanks in advance from a newbie,

Jason