Permitting

GRG

The hoops to jump through to get permitted for a hot tub are ridiculous. Not talking about electrical but, mechanical. Too numerous to go into detail but things like childproof fences/gates, door alarms, locking covers, warning stickers, et al. -- All in the name of keeping the children safe. Never mind making parents more responsible or, that you have no children in your house or, that you have padlocks on your gates.

Has the pool and spa industry just rolled over and accepted the regulations?

How did we ever get through childhood without the government by our sides to protect us at every turn?

Sorry for the rant, the regulations are absurd.

Sounds rough.

My state (VT) is slowly being taken over by the liberals in the city (Burlington) but their "feel good" laws haven't gotten to my area yet. I put an 18' x 30' 2-story addition on my house and that didn't even need a permit.

Well, what a difference a day [or two] makes. Long story short, the electrical inspector stated that the hot tub

must have a mechanical permit as well as an electrical permit and, he directed us to the where to find the info on the local .gov site. Evidently, information for all pools and spas are listed without much delineation so, I am thinking that the requirements we were reading about were largely for in-ground pools rather than above-ground portable spas.

After talking with a co-worker about this, I am puzzled as to why we even need a mechanical permit. This is the website we were directed to for information. [Just outside of Seattle].

My wife was the one that spoke to him [twice] regarding this permit. The first time they spoke he stated, "No child is going to die on my watch." The next time she spoke to him he stated, "I'm not a spa nazi" -- Indicating he is not rigid in his 'hammer-wielding', Go figure. I just don't want the city slapping a lien [or worse] on my house.

Given the spa I am installing [above link] does requiring a permit sound reasonable?

The alternate document [referenced on the website] is ASTM F 1346 and has to do with a cover and it is quite specific in it's explanation of what is acceptable. I would think my cover is more than enough but, it does not have the warning stickers that are requested in the document.

I just want to be left alone to enjoy my hot tub!!! :)

does requiring a permit sound reasonable? ummmm, is there anything the government does that's reasonable??? Permits cost MONEY, and this is yet another way for them to raise revenue. You're also increasing the value of your home, and it's now documented, so they're be a little increase in your property tax as well ;-)

ASTM F 1346 is just a recommendation, that any municipality may or may not adopt..as is, or modified by them if they choose. The warning stickers, are actually considered one of THE most important parts, any without, it fails with an F minus.

does requiring a permit sound reasonable? ummmm, is there anything the government does that's reasonable??? Permits cost MONEY, and this is yet another way for them to raise revenue. You're also increasing the value of your home, and it's now documented, so they're be a little increase in your property tax as well ;-)

Yes, they DO love their taxes! Although with a portable spa [which can be moved], I am not really improving the property.

ASTM F 1346 is just a recommendation, that any municipality may or may not adopt..as is, or modified by them if they choose. The warning stickers, are actually considered one of THE most important parts, any without, it fails with an F minus.

I am surprised the stickers are not required in 5 different languages plus braille. [/sarcasm]