Am I Crazy To Completely Deconstruct My Hot Spring, Replumb And Deck Mount?

Hi All,

New here but this seems like the right place to be. I've got a 2000 Hot Spring Vanguard that I bought used about 7 years ago. It was an ordeal getting it out of it's original backyard (huge crane) then getting it into my backyard but has been great for the family over the years. It's developed leaks in the plumbing during the past couple years. The shell remains pristine and in excellent condition. I've dug into it twice in two different locations and fixed slow drips were the flex PVC attaches to the jets. This definitely wasn't for the feint of heart as I had to remove the cabinet, dig out foam and mine for the leaky spot. But leaks continue to develop to the point where it's time to go all in or take it to the dump. I'm thinking of flipping it over, gutting the whole thing down to the shell, replumbing the entire thing then deck mounting it. I'm fully aware of the labor involved here, but it's either I put in my time and we get our hot tub back or we take it to the dump and don't get a new one. Our budget would allow for the replacement parts needed (just plumbing and a few jets) but buying a new hot tub is out of the question. I have all the skills needed for this type of thing, have build my own home, built solar water and PV systems, run my own custom cabinet shop, restore cars, etc. What I need to know is how many of you think this is insane and 100% futile? I was ready to construct my own scratch build concrete/tile hot tub but I'm staring at this complete unit out there that is perfectly good, except for those pesky leaks. opinions? I think I've tackled crazier projects, but maybe not...

That is a concern. I may decide it's best to just re build the entire frame and cabinet while I've got it upside down and leave it as a portable spa instead of dropping it through my deck. I was hoping not to re-foam since I worry that when a leak develops in the future I'll be back to where I am now. I see lots of tubs with minimal foam that doesn't appear structural, but I do know that my foam is filled all the way to the cabinet walls. I had planned on framing it and using a blanket insulation of some kind that I could remove later if repairs are needed. If I have to foam what type of foam should I use? Source? I know it will be an expanding two part mix, similar to what is in the cans you buy at the home center, but I'll need to fill a pretty big space.

Hot Spring Spas isn't lots of spas. Again, I believe the foam is an integral part of the structure and without it the shell WILL crack. Additionally, the foam is layered on in different, specific densities, to give it the overall structural support.

I did read a post elsewhere that layer out the different foams Hot Spring uses. It couldn't be easy, could it!? So, whats a good source for the two part foam? And what is the difference between, say, 2# foam and 10# and 20# foam? I've found a few sources and it is spend, so I will imagine that I'll use only one type...

1 cubic foot of 2# foam weighs 2 pounds. 10# would weigh 10 pounds per cubic foot. The higher the weight, the more dense it is and the stronger it is. Unless you know the exact weight of the foam and the thickness of each type, as it was engineered by Hot Spring Spas, I would surmise a high chance of failure and your spa will wind up cracking beyond repair.