Spa Frog @ease

Its the worst. SmartChlor does not work at all. Having 0.5PPM of FC and counting on a bank of 15PPM reserve FC is a good gimmick. I had it for 2 weeks and my water sucked! Lot of issues. Had to decontaminate and go to nitro method (which is so awesome...requires no work!)

Your dealer is an a** clown. Tell him I said so. NEVER LISTER TO A DEALER...they are nothing but used car salesman.

Hehe. Ok. Let me ask you this then, because now I really don't trust him.

I was using chlorine and mps non chlorine shock.

A few years ago, he sold me on Spa Essentials Spa Shock Xtra. This stuff:

http://www.poolgeek.com/products/spa-essentials-spa-shock-xtra-6-lb

He said it will shock like non chlorine shock, but has additional chlorine. I can see on the label it is about 50% discolor. Have no idea what the other 45% is. Have you used it or do you think it is ok?

It does seem to help keep my Chlorine levels higher. Just not sure if it is any good as a shock.

I have that stuff and really like it!. It has exactly what you said plus water clarifiers. Before I did the nitro method (which everyone should do my god what a time saver and just relief my family is safe) the lack of sanitizer and smartChlor turned my water a tinge of green. I 'shocked' with spa essentials and BAM...water was super clear. The clarifiers cut the foam down too.

Now unfortunately I have 6lbs of it and I do not need it. What I will do is once my dichor runs out (if it ever does), I will use the spa essentials up. With the dichlor-bleach, you only have a weeks worth of dichlor usage (6tablespoons total) until you start using bleach. So 4oz every 4 months for a drain+fill will take a long time to use it up. I do plan on shocking with it (double dose since its only 1/2 dichlor) every month to keep my CYA between 30-40PPM.

• 2 months later...

I tried this for a 2.5 week vacation we had. With Bromine, I have always been able to put two floaters in our spa, lower temp and things were fine when returning. However, since switching to the bleach method, it really doesn't work well for long vacations. I was thinking of just switching to bromine during our vacation and then switch back to chlorine bleach on my next fill. When this came up I spoke to the folks at frog and they told me it would be ok for a long vacation. Boy were they wrong. I raised my FC level high before we left and put in this new frog chlorine system. Came back to green water. FC at 0. I decontaminated and refilled the spa and all is back to normal. Not sure if the lack of chlorine or the minerals were the issue. I actually do not think my water was decontaminated, but didn't take any chances. SJ

Here it is Dr. SPA another testimonial AGAINST King Technologies. Just trying to help folks out. Everything in this forum is based on personal experience. If you have a really, really bad experience with something, it goes to say the other brands associated are probably junk. Case in point: Walmart->Sams Club (the difference here is Walmart is a necessary evil for me).