How To Properly Shut Down Hot Tub For 2 Years?

globalgrl

I have a Pinnacle Spa hot tub located on a deck outside in AR. I would say the climate is moderate, we do have some freezing days but not that many and summers are very hot and humid. I have had this hot tub for 2 years and absolutely no problems at all through the hot summers and one freak snowstorm.

I am going to be taking a job out of the country for 2 years and I am trying to figure out what is the best thing for the hot tub. I have read a lot and seem to get conflicting thoughts on what the best option is. Some say keep it running because the parts will freeze up. That is really not a good option for me because I would have to hire someone to go check and make sure the water is covering the jets. I want to drain it but then there is another problem in that it is on a deck that is very high up and was nearly impossible to get it up there so I don’t think we could get it down. Or rather I could not get anyone to undertake that after what we went through and most importantly we would never get it back up there in 2 years. It has the very best cover on it that locks down. If I drain it which is what I think is best solution should I do anything to it other than keep the cover on? Any and all suggestions welcome, thanks!!

I'd drain it, vacuum and blow out all the lines extremely well, disconnect the equipment (maybe put the eq. in the garage). Put a good tarp over the spa (under the cover), put the cover back on and put another tarp over the top of the cover (yeah, two tarps). Make sure all the covers are very well secured...and hope for the best (should be fine)