Help/advice On Repairing A Big Leak

s10blazed

Hi guys, I found this forum while looking for some info on my hot tub. What I know is that it is a 2002 Marquis Spas Escape. I had it working last year with no problems until my screen/controls went bad. I drained it before winter and it sat for that length of time. I had some extra money so I bought a new screen, excited to have my hot tub running again. BUT... (there wouldn't be many posts without a BUT...)

I must of missed some water. It was leaking bad from the side opposite the motors. I took the panels off and removed a bunch of foam and found one of the PVC pipes burst. It looks like the Y union it connects to may also be cracked.

I'm very handy and learn quick. I just want to know what are the basic DOs and DONTs of fixing this. I think that union piece will be Marquis specific - but what about the PVC pipe?

How much do I need to remove to repair it?

Which foam will be used to refill the empty space after it's repaired?

Should I just suck it up and call a professional? (Money is tight, had already considered scrapping it before the new topside panel)

Should I assume there are other burst pipes? This one was so obvious I would not of been able to see other drips.

Thanks, I will probably have more questions later.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't use PVC from local hardware store... figure out what size the T is a find it on a spa site.

Everything has to be cleaned to primer/glue. Not rocket science, but still attention to detail.

I will be sure to get the piping from the spa store and avoid the hardware store. Thanks for that tip. Just for curiosity sake, what is the difference?

Is there a chemical to remove the old glue? Or do I have to cut a pipe somewhere along its length and couple to it?