Puzzling Jacuzzi

Hello everyone! I have spent a lot of time on this forum and have learned a lot. However, I have a strange problem with mt Jacuzzi 2001 laser select. I can't pinpoint what the source of it's problem is, so I thought I would reach out to you Spa masters to see if antone could help.

Background: I have had it for about 9 months, and after fixing some leaks, it has been a great hot tub! It worked great through this last Iowa winter.

About a month ago I changed the water, and it took way longer than it usually does to get up to temp. After 6 days of running non stop with the heater on (according to the light on the control panel) it had only reached 85. I tried removing the filter, and that seemed to make no difference. The flow seemed normal from what I could tell.

I dumped the water out and checked the heating element. It looked great and the resistance test that I found on Balboas website was spot on. So, I put it all back together, filled it with water, turned it on, and got a "fl" error.

I removed the flow switch from the heating housing and did a resistance test and it was fine. The diaphram didnt seem to be stuck or anything either. So, I put it back together, filled the hot tub, and it worked great. It heated up in just a few days.

One night I went out to use it. I was in it for about 20 minutes, and the temp droped from 99 to 96 in that 20 minutes, while the heater light was on. Shortly after, it gave the "fl" error again. The circ pump seems to be fine though.

I am wondering if a bad flow switch cause the heater to say it is running, even if it is not? I am afriad I will replace the flow switch, but that it still wont heat properly.

I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I would get a volt meter and actually test for electricity at the element, and if there's none, trace back to determine where/what is causing the problem. However, in your case, since this is something you haven't even considered, I would suggest calling in a professional to diagnose the problem.....it will probably cost you FAR more to just start blindly replacing things. Yes, it 'could" be a bad flow switch, bu there's 10 to 20 other things it could be, and without properly testing things, you have no way of knowing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. I borrowed an amp meter that could read more than 10 (mine is a cheapo) and found it wasnt pulling any because it wasnt getting any voltage. I traced it back to a bad solder joint on the board (one of the heater relay contacts). I beleive that in turn also burnt out the relay, as the contacts on the relay were burnt.

I wonder if bad solder joints on these old balboa boards are a common problem... Anyways, I am glad to have found it.