Brown Slime At Water Line And Around Filters

umjorge2

So yesterday I decided to change the water in our hot tub for the first time in 5 months, since the wether was warm enough since that long to actually do it. I put in all the right chemicals as it was re-filling with the recommended start up amounts and spacing the time between adding them so that each one had enough time to react with the water. After letting it heat up overnight and checking it today, this slimy brown line has formed at the water line, at certain places in the tub. Its not everywhere, but its gross and unsightly. Its especially bad around the filters where a bunch of it has collected and floating on top of the water in a congealed like way. Like I said changed the water yesterday and water chemistry is balanced according to the test strip with all the chemicals I'm suppose to use and the tub has not been used since then. I should mention that after I filled the tub, I did noticed what appeared to be an oil like slick on top of the water in some places, particularly around the filters, which I found strange since it was clean water I just put in and it didn't seem like it was that much to cause this much slime potentially. When it was drained all I did was give it a good rinse with a pressure washer. Didn't really scrub it down or anything. So whats the deal? Here are the chemicals I used in this order: Protect plus, Spa Clarifier, Enhance part A and B, Natural Clear Clarifier. Startup amounts are more than the weekly amounts so I'm wondering, has one of the chemicals congealed something in the water to make it do that?

IMG_4323.jpgIMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

Why in the heck are you adding so many things to your spa? Let's look at each item's chemistry individually:

Rendezvous Protect Plus - CITRIC ACID, Trisodium hydroxyethylene-diamine-triacetate, TRISODIUM NITRILOTRIACETATE

Rendezvous Spa Clarifier - Cationic polymer

Rendezvous Enhance - SODIUM BROMIDE (I did not find "Part A and B" -- is this the product you used?)

Rendezvous Natural Clear - Enzyme

The Rendezvous Spa Clarifier is a cationic polymer which means it is positively charged and will attract negatively charged particle. Cell surfaces tend to have a net negative charge so the polymer is intended to help coagulate dead skin cells to keep the water clear. However, you also added Rendezvous Protect Plus which like most metal sequestrants contains chemicals that attract positively charged metal ions and themselves these chemicals are negatively charged. Though it would be worse if the metal sequestrant were an anionic polymer, I suspect you may have overdosed and that these two products reacted with each other creating a precipitated mess.

Unless you are using well water with lots of iron in it, then you shouldn't need to use the Protect Plus metal sequestrant product. Also, you shouldn't need to use a clarifier if you are properly disinfecting your spa. An enzyme likewise would not normally be needed, especially if you have an ozonator.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just doing what my local spa dealership told me to do with the chemicals. These chemicals are what I'm suppose to add weekly and when I refill a tub, I'm suppose to add more, according to their recommendations. The rendezvous enhance I'm using is part a: a liquid and part b: a powder.