Old Hot Springs Indoor Outdoor High Limit Problem - Help Please

jlifton

I am trying to figure out why the high limit keeps tripping on a pre 1989 Hot Springs Spa Indoor Outdoor model.

Heres what is happening:

The spa would heat up to temperature and then a few days later the high limit would trip.

I checked the circulating pump and all the water lines to the heater and return. There were no kinks in the lines and the pump works fine.

I then replaced the high limit switch.

The spa heated up and seemed to keep temperature for about a week. Then the high limit switch (I think it was that switch) tripped again.

There was a lot of water inside the equipment area. I cleared it out and found a very slight leak at one of the hoses to the heater.

The heater has a solid dense insulation around it that was completely soaked. The insulation is now falling apart and needs to be replaced.

I am going to replace the insulation to the heater but before I order the part I was wondering if the problem with the high limit switch tripping is being caused by a faulty thermostat.

Is it possible that the new high limit switch tripped because the heater insulation was water logged?

Ive been scratching my head a lot on this and appreciate any help you can offer!

Hi, Heater High Limit tripping on an early Hot Spring model was pretty straight-forward. It was usually a result of low flow from restricted intake or discharge screens or a weak or failed circulation pump. To make sure the discharge screen isn't having blockage from the back side, remove it, In 1989 and earlier models, the circulation pump did not run 24 hours a day like current models but rather cycled on and off along with the heater operation. If the circulation pump is slow to get up to speed when the heater coil is activated, it may result in a HL trip within 2-3 minutes. The only other possible cause was an air-lock in the heater canister which usually occurred after refilling the spa. With the heater hose leaking, there may be a slim possibility that it is allowing air into the heater canister to the point it creates a partial airlock and flow issue. Saturation of the heater housing insulation would not cause HL tripping. Keith, Watkins Customer Service