Removing Impeller From Spa Pump

B Streyle

I am trying to remove the impeller from a Hercules pump that is attached to a

1 1/2 HP motor. There is a bolt holding the impeller onto the motor shaft and I am having trouble removing it. Are these normal threads or are they reversed threads. I don't want to try and remove it and end up just making it tighter.

Thanks

Yes, if the screw goes through the impellor, it will be left-hand thread.

BUT - be aware that it could be simply a hex-head cast into the impellor to help you turn the whole impellor. On most 48-frame pumps that is the case.

Can you be more specific: What model of pump is it? Force 1, Black Max etc.

Yes, if the screw goes through the impellor, it will be left-hand thread.

BUT - be aware that it could be simply a hex-head cast into the impellor to help you turn the whole impellor. On most 48-frame pumps that is the case.

Can you be more specific: What model of pump is it? Force 1, Black Max etc.

Its a Hercules Pump, Model 750515 attached to a 1 1/2 HP Magnetek motor. Looking at the nut, it looks like the same material as the impellor. If its as you state above in your "be aware" sentence, how do you get it off so you can remove the pump from the motor?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I'm not familiar enough to know them by model number, but if it looks like the picture below then it is all one with the impellor.

There are tricks to this: using a little wedge to hold the impellor while the motor shaft is turned etc.

IPB Image

The input pictured is for a jetted bathtub and is self-draining. Yours may be a straight inlet fitting.

Well, I'm not familiar enough to know them by model number, but if it looks like the picture below then it is all one with the impellor.

There are tricks to this: using a little wedge to hold the impellor while the motor shaft is turned etc.

IPB Image

The input pictured is for a jetted bathtub and is self-draining. Yours may be a straight inlet fitting.

It doen't look exactly like the picture, but I'm thinking that it is like you said, the bolt is part of the impellor. The rear of the motor has a slot that a large straight screwdriver could fit. I guess I could have someone hold the screwdriver on the motor shaft and use a socket to turn the impellor off of the shaft. Would this be a left handed screw assembly also?

No - that would be normal. But be sure you get a HUGE screwdriver - there is a tool for this.