Diy- Fiberglass

berenj

This will not be much help immediately. On June 19, 2007 wnbrandt had the following post:

Thought I would throw this out for comment. The biggest problem I see with fiberglass pools is that you are stuck with "standard" shapes and you have to transport and then set a very large object. Why not combine the best of concrete with the best of fiberglass?

Dig a hole roughly to shape. Using sand mixed with a stabilizing agent (like the stuff used for dust control and dirt paths) shape the pool with all the features you want and let it harden. Run your plumbing and then spray the shape with an appropiate amount of fiberglass using a chopper gun. Finish it off with gel coat and you now have a entirely custom pool with all the advantages of fiberglass.

Just a couple of side notes; As a former boat builder spraying the pool in place should not be much of an issue and the stabilized sand helps provide a void free compacted base for the fiberglass.

What did I miss? why won't this work? any and all thoughts welcome!

Bill

I removed a below ground doughboy, and would like to prep the hole and spray with fiberglass. Not that easy, of course, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. If done properly, of course. It the properly part I need help with.

I'm happy to share my progress if you are interested. It's juvst a hole in the ground with the vertical metal posts, plumbing, and wiring right now. The plan is to pour a concrete bottom, weld 1/8" steel sheets to the current in place supports, pour concrete stairs, then spray it with fiberglass using a chop gun, apply the gel coat, fit the plumbing and lights, fill with water, and backfill where erosion has occurred.

It should be an interesting project.

I'm hoping to hear from Bill how his turned out.