Sundance Marin 850 Watchdog Error - Circuit Board?

trisail02

Hello -

We have a Sundance 850 series 'Marin' hot tub that had a few issues in the past (see post: http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26961&st=0) We resolved our previous problem by replacing the circuit board and all of the filters. After we did this in the spring last year, the hot tub worked for about 4-5 months but then just quit working. It gives us the awful "Watchdog" (----) error again. We did some tests and think the circuit board is bad again.

So, recently we actually paid a Sundance hot tub tech to come out to diagnose the problem, as we did not want to keep replacing the expensive circuit board every 4-5 months just to get it to work. We figured there must be some underlying issue corrupting the boards. The tech determined that he wasn't really sure what the problem was but thought that we could start by replacing the circuit board and topside and then maybe the remote topside too if that didn't work. I gave him the old board we took out a few years ago (yes, I kept it!) in case that helped him diagnose and he said they both have the same issue. FYI - He did say that he thought one little spot in the topside might be getting a little warm. Also, when he was there, the hot tub was able to start ONCE, but then he couldn't get it to start again.

I really don't want to pay to replace of those pieces as a trial and error type "solution" to the problem. He said the temp sensor is good. He looked at the capacitors on both boards, we kept the old circuit board too, and said they were not swollen and look fine. The tech was also unable to read the history/memory to get any other clues as to what could be the problem. So much for hiring someone to tell us what was wrong...ughh!

(FYI - Also, in our previous problem - see link above-, we also had the breaker tripping and the tech that just came out said that was due to the ozenator so he just disconnected it since it's an option feature anyway and not required to make the spa work.)

Before we buy a new circuit board or any other parts, do you have any idea if just replacing the circuit board will make it work? If it is going to cost A LOT to repair (we plan on doing the work ourselves) in parts, then we may just get rid of the tub completely.

I've also seen some refurbished circuit boards online. Has anyone used a refurb board and do they work ok? I noticed some come with the Eprom and some don't. (I was told you can install your current Eprom into the refurb board fairly painlessly.) Any experience with this?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for any help, advice, experience, suggestions you can offer!

Hot Tub: Sundance Marin 850 Series (year 2005)

Circuit Board Part #: 6600-092

Eprom: Rev 9.50B

Sundance and Jacuzzi have a special test plug that plugs into the board in place of the sensor loom and bypassing the temp sensor, the limit sensor and the flow switch. This test plug is designed by Sundance to mimic 73 degrees F back to the electronics in order to test for board and topside issues. Did the tech insert this test plug into the board before announcing his diagnosis??? I would never condemn a Sundance board without testing it with this particular tool, unless the damage is blatant such as obviously bulged/leaking caps or a board that is obviously burnt.

John

Hi John -

Thank you very much for your response!! I REALLY appreciate any help you can provide!

Yes, I believe the tech did have some sort of test plug when he looked at the unit as he mentioned he was able to bypass certain things to determine the board was dead. (I was trying to keep my 11.5mo old entertained in the adjacent room so it was a little hard to see exactly what he was doing.) However, I did think it was strange that the hot tub was able to start up once while he was there if the board was dead???

Any other thoughts or ideas as to the problem?? The tech just kept saying the issue (whatever it is) is very rare since he's unable to see the "history" or really determine the problem.

Again, ANY HELP is SO very much appreciated!!! Thank you!

Is there anyone who has any thoughts as to why the circuit boards keep dying?

Or, if the circuit board was bad, is it possible for the hot tub to start once by the tech when he was out here (which it did) but then he could never get it started again? (I thought it would not be able to start at all with a bad board?)

TIA!!