New Tub Just Delivered And Installed... Have Care Questions

dexter7701

Hi Everyone...

Just had my Hotspot SX delivered and installed yesterday. Got it with all the bells and whistles, ozonator, circ pump, cover lifter, etc. It looks great and the delivery and setup was superb. No damage to the tub, no leaks and everything works as it is supposed to. Call me "Happy, Happy".

Now for the care questions:
1) They gave me a years worth of free chemicals. A silver Ionizer stick (will receive one every three months), SpaGuard oxidizer enhanced shock, and silk balance. Since it is only 285 gallons, the instructions were one cap full of shock, and 3 ounces of silk balance per week. That's all, no other chemicals. Just clean the filter once a week and then add the chemicals. Is this all I need to do? The tub will be used by two of us most nights for about 30 minutes.
2) The setup guy told me to keep the vinyl cover clean to make it last. My tub is under a lot of pecan trees and during the late summer, they sprinkle "sap" everywhere and make everything "sticky". Also, during pecan season, the pecans drop like crazy as well as leaves and their little pod twigs. He told me that saddle soap works well, but I don't think it will help with the sticky sap problem. I found a product called "303 Aerospace Protectant" to be used on vinyl, etc. and specifically mentioned spa covers. Is this a good product and do any of you use it? It has great online reviews.
3) It came with a "scum sponge". Do these work and how often do you have to buy a new one?
4) The setup guy also told me to buy a "magic eraser" to remove any marks or buildup on the outer part of the acrylic shell. Not the abrasive one, just the original "magic eraser". Is this okay, or, do you guys have a better way?

Any other maintenance hints will be welcome... Thanks

1) Just make sure there's chlorine in the tub at all times. When starting out that means you're going to have to test it daily until you get a feel for whats going on. All of these "low maintenance" programs are compromises to maintaining a balance. You either have too much or too little sanitizer in the water. nature 2 method is what they set you up with (because it's expensive) and you need to make sure you have the right method to test for MPS. Read the hot tub chemicals board section for nature 2 threads. All the info you are seeking is in that board of this forum.

2) the outside of the cover can be completely covered in sap and it's not going to affect the performance of your cover. It might look bad but it won't degrade your cover.

3) the scum sponges do work well. you can tell when they are used up when they start floating low in the water. I use the scum balls or the scum bugs you can get on amazon for about $5-6. Replace every 1-2 months depending on how clean you are getting in the tub. deoderants and lotions (anything oily) is what these are good at removing.

4)no experience but i'm sure that's fine.

Hi dexter7701,

Thanks for posting and congrats on your new spa; thank you!! I like a lot of acrhes2's points above. If we can ever be of help in the future, call us at anytime at 800-999-4688.

Thanks,

Steve

---Hot Spring Spas---

303 Protectant is real good stuff and it lasts a long time, reapply every 2 0r 3 months. You might consider covering your spa cover with a plastic tarp during pecan season.

Dave