Pool Heaters

bassack42

I would like to extend my pool season and am not sure which route to go when thinking of heaters. We live in Newport News Virginia. Regular season is probably June through September. I would like to try and extend our enjoyment from maybe mid April till mid October.

I checked on solar heaters and they run around $3000.00 installed (low end) for my pool. I have a 12 x 24 kidney shaped pool. Somewhere around 8000-10000 gallons. 3 1/2' deep to 5 1/2' deep. Just seems high to me. Also, since the front of my house faces south, the panels will be facing the street. What happens when you have to do roof work? Can the panels get damaged in wind storms?

Oh well...My other thought is gas heaters. Found a Hayward 150 for around $1300. How well do gas heaters work? How much does it cost? I wouldn't have it on all the time, just when I know we are getting in it on certain days. How much is the contractor to hook up the electrical for this? How much is it to hook up the gas?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to get advice and numbers.

Steve and Jodi Henderson

Newport News, Va.

I don't think solar panels are going to do it for you. Anything that covers your roof will decrease the life of your shingles and VA gets a bit cold. With a 10K GAL pool you have the option of a 100K or 125K BTU electric. You could also go with a small gas heater. I was able to steal my LAARS 400K BTU heater off of craigslist from a rich guy who couldn't figure it out when it had problems. I was able to score the heater and the Jandy AquaLink RS controller for a whopping $150 for both. I installed the heater myself. It was a pain. I had to pour a pad, plumb, and wire everything but, I am one of those handy types. If you can't do it yourself then start calling your friends. A free lunch and beer go a long way. To me, it is always better to do it yourself or have a friend help because you learn how to troubleshoot when you have problems......and you WILL have problems but, they are usually very minor.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

We have solar panels and the roof shingles underneath the panels actually last longer than those exposed to the elements, especially to sun. The panels are mounted on brackets or beams so can be removed if needed, but that's not something normally needed to be done. As for wind, the best FAFCO solar panels that are solid (no gaps between tubes) are designed to withstand 150-172 MPH wind speeds and I suspect most other solar panels are not an issue for wind either. There are separated tube panels that are less efficient and designed to have wind blow through them, but that just allows for simpler roof mounting hardware instead of the belly-band strapping (see this link for more info).

We have solar panels and the roof shingles underneath the panels actually last longer than those exposed to the elements, especially to sun. The panels are mounted on brackets or beams so can be removed if needed, but that's not something normally needed to be done. As for wind, the best FAFCO solar panels that are solid (no gaps between tubes) are designed to withstand 150-172 MPH wind speeds and I suspect most other solar panels are not an issue for wind either. There are separated tube panels that are less efficient and designed to have wind blow through them, but that just allows for simpler roof mounting hardware instead of the belly-band strapping (see this link for more info).

I don't have solar panels but, your point seems to conflict with other's I've heard in the past. I think the premise I heard prior was that the panels trapped moisture and would sometimes lead to leaks. There were also issues of the panels trapping snow and causing ice dams for the Northerners. Seems like I also read that some people had issues with the mounting hardware causing leaks as well. I can see the point that the panels would block the UV and damaging sun which, for me, would be the main concern since I'm in the South. It is always good to get input from the folks who have actual experience with the point at hand.