Retrofit A Sundance Altamar?

mjgold

Hi, I am thinking about buying an older model Sundance Altamar and trying to retrofit it with Sundance's new technology, such as the Fluidix jets and ClearRay system.

Does anyone know the Altamar models for which this would be possible? Would it be cost effective?

For example, a new 2013 Altamar in my area costs around $10,000. I see 2002 Altamar models selling for around $1,500. If I could get the total retrofitting cost to around $5,000, I'm tempted to do it. I don't know if that's possible or not.

Thanks!

to save 3k it's not a good idea. First IMO and most here clear ray is not worth the money. Searching the spa chemicals forum will find many discussions, that's up to you.

An 11 year old spa has a lot of life sucked out of it. The plastics will have degraded, cracks and leaks are that much closer, the pumps are worn, the spa pack is old. There are a lot of pitfalls on any 11 year old tub, expecially with unknown maintenance history. If you were goingto buy it for $1500 and not drop a bunch of money into it and just use it, it's a good deal. When you start looking at what you are it looses most of the value.

The altmar is a nice tub, i have an 09 that I bought used and well maintained. I have still had to put a bunch of money into it for a cover and repairing a motor. The cost to move the tub will be close to $500 which is usually not added to the new tub cost. You can do what ever you want to upgrade but it's not plug and play. You will be using the shell and cabinet and repluming it your self.

I'm not sure Clearray does much at all for you in the first place, if its included in the spa when new thats fine but paying to add it would be an idea I'd skip. At far as upgrading jets, thats not that simple and I'm not sure the jet openings are the same size ID anyway, if I had to replace a cracked jet i would look to upgrade it if the opening was the same size but otherwise I'd leave it alone.

Putting $5k into a used spa for better jets and a UV ozonator is not even remotely money spent wisely IMO. If you get a good working used spa at a good price buy it and enjoy it as is.