Csi -0.42 In Swim Spa

Parrick

After reading some of the posts in the forum I learned that the "recommended" TA for my swim spa (80-150ppm) was way high & led to the need to constantly add acid to lower the pH.

After some experimentation I found that a TA of 40ppm results in a very stable pH which will hold steady at 7.6 for up to a week or more. If the aerators are used it will creep up slowly & can easily be corrected with a small addition of dry acid. If I notice a trend in the pH creeping downward I know to test the TA & bump it back up a bit with some baking soda.

This method has greatly reduced the amount of time & reagent that I use in maintaining chemistry. It is also nice to know that I can bump the FC up to 5 ppm or so & go on vacation for a few days without having to worry about the spa chemistry getting all out of whack & coming home to a disaster.

My only concern is this: When I enter my numbers into the Pool Calculator I end up with a resulting CSI of -0.42.

The Pool Calculator indicates that this has the "Potential to become corrosive to plaster".

I am assuming that this is not an issue with an acrylic spa with stainless steel parts. Am I correct? Is there any downside to my method?

My numbers are as follows:

Size 1525 gal

FC 3

pH 7.6

TA 40

CH 150

CYA 26

Salt 26

Borate 0

Temp 95 F

CSI -0.42

You are correct that with an acrylic spa there is no problem with the negative CSI. As for metal corrosion, low pH would be a problem, but not low CSI itself.