I Think I Need A New Controller

limulus

Hello all. I have not posted here in a couple of years. I have a 4yr old Callaway cedar hot tub that is not working. During the recession, Callaway went out of business so I don't have direct access to any tech support. My tub has a 2-spd pump, a blower, lights and an ionizer. When I start the tub, it runs through a 30-sec purge and then starts a 2hr filtering cycle. Since the water is cold, the temp sensor tries to turn on the heater. As soon as it clicks, the main breaker trips. I disconnected the heater from the control and this stops. So I replaced the heater but it still trips the breaker until I disconnect that heater.

Today, I had a spa technician come to look at it. He checked quite a few things and could not determine why this is happening. He said it could be the board. I can tell you this: when the relay clicks, there is a bright spark and a puff of smoke at the terminal where the heater connects to the controls. Again, when disconnected, that does not happen.

Does anyone have an idea what I should look for? I was looking at Balboa controls and the VS501 retrofit sounds a lot like my panel. It controls a 2-spd pump, a blower, lights and an ionizer. Is there a place on any of the circuit boards that I could find a number to id this thing?

Hi,

We have knowledge base articles on Balboa DIrect to help you determin your balboa part numbers. The one for your circuit board is located here:

http://balboadirect.com/model-board.aspx

If a spa technician has been on site and diagnosed the problem as a likely board issue, chances are that you are going to need to replace your board. Its hard to get the type of diagnosis online that you get from an on-site, certified and trained tech.