Alk40/ Ph 6.2

new2chem

I am a new user /375 gl tub. have had hot tub up for 3 days. did as directed brought akl to 80 , then metal magic 2onces for 10 hrs, then muti magic shock 2 1/4 tbls brought th ph to 7.2.. I then added nature choice mineral stick to filter. and finally added gentle spa to water. we used the tub twice and added shock /chlorine after ea use 2 tblsp. I used insta test 3 strips for chem and aquaa check and both now show akl of 40 and ph b/t 6.2 and 6.8. how do I balance the chemitry. I need advice, and have alot to learn.

What do I do next. what do I start with now ? akl or ph?

Start by reading the Nitros water maintenance stickie in this forum. Re-read it until you think you understand it. then read it a few more times. then get yourself a proper test kit. Trying to do this with strips is aggrivateing at best and nearly impossible at worst. You need to be able to do an acid / base demand to know how much is needed. You didn't say how you "brought the TA to 80" and what it and the pH were when you started.

If it we me in your spot with the tools you have I'd add about 1/8 of a cup of baking soda to bring the TA up slightly and then just aerate (run the jets and air). that should get you close but until you can get exact numbers with a good test kit you'll be chasing it forever.