Hello

I'm still new to the water chemistry thing, and probably not doing myself any favors learning both a pool and a hot tub simultaneously, but after reading various sources ( the employees at the pool store are full of conflicting information and speak in vague metaphors) I just read the other day that you cannot convert a bromine tub to chlorine, it will just keep propagating bromine. when we moved into this house, I just started using chlorine because that is what I put in the pool.

The last water sample I brought to the pool store said bromine on the printout instead of chlorine. I called them and asked, but the guy said his computer didn't tell the difference, it just was assumed I would use bromine. My question is, how do I tell if my tub is chlorine or bromine?

Josh

in a bromine spa you can use chlorine to shock as it is will activate the bromide (not a sanitizer) in to bromine (the sanitizer). If you want to convert the bromine spa to chlorine you have to drain it (which if it was filled from previous owners i'd drain and decontaminate it anyway (see the stickies in this forum). That way you know exactly what is in there.

The test for chlorine and bromine is the same so there (as far as i know) no way to determine what's in there if you didn't do the fill. Another reason to drain it.

Spend some time reading all the stickies in this forum and you'll have all the info you need to decide if you want bromine or chlorine and how to do it. It's very easy and if you follow these plans and the most important peice of info you can follow here is get a taylor test kit as it will save you so many headaches in the future.