Laing Pump Repair?

nickrw

I have a Laing SM-1252-NTW-24 pump and I think it is faulty. It's a single speed circulation pump. On powering up it runs fine and pumps water through well. After a few hours the flow rate drops to nearly nothing, the pump sounds different and gets very hot. Then the heater of course cuts out.

I'm not familiar with these but have taken it apart. The wet end rotor looks good and clean, and there's no leaks. I can run it in my hand and the impeller spins fast, is it really supposed to be so loose? If I run it on it's side as it would be in when connected the impeller does wobble. Perhaps this is because it has no water running through?

Anyway, does it sounds like a pump fault? If so is it the motor or the impeller? I have seen rebuild kits but not for the SM-1252 model. I'm in the UK but can ship to the States as I have relatives over there. I've seen a complete new pump for $250 but that's too much for me.

Please help my kids have been nagging me to sort this for months!!

I have a Laing SM-1252-NTW-24 pump and I think it is faulty. It's a single speed circulation pump. On powering up it runs fine and pumps water through well. After a few hours the flow rate drops to nearly nothing, the pump sounds different and gets very hot. Then the heater of course cuts out.

I'm not familiar with these but have taken it apart. The wet end rotor looks good and clean, and there's no leaks. I can run it in my hand and the impeller spins fast, is it really supposed to be so loose? If I run it on it's side as it would be in when connected the impeller does wobble. Perhaps this is because it has no water running through?

Anyway, does it sounds like a pump fault? If so is it the motor or the impeller? I have seen rebuild kits but not for the SM-1252 model. I'm in the UK but can ship to the States as I have relatives over there. I've seen a complete new pump for $250 but that's too much for me.

Please help my kids have been nagging me to sort this for months!!

It's tough to analyze from afar but while they run warm they shouldn't get too hot. Thats a sign of its nearing its end, especially if you've confirmed there is no blockage. See if there is someone that repairs pumps in your area to take a look or even ask a dealer if they have a salvaged one off a deceased spa.

I replace mine every five to seven years. They just don't go much longer than that, and when they begin to fail, they do just what you describe.

B)