Primary Pump Surges

Nugget

Hi all,

I've recently bought a house that came with a non working hot tub, which I've been slowly getting up and running. It's a Coast Spas Bahama from 2003. I've gotten both motors running, pumps rebuilt, replaced a few cracked fittings in the service bay, and replaced a smoked pack.

The problem I'm having now is that the primary pump seems to be pulling in air somewhere. I prime it and the filter, and it seems to run all right on low speed. But once I turn it to high speed, it momentarily builds up pressure, then stops. It will run for a few seconds more, then pressure will surge momentarily. This continues on and on. If i crack the bleeder on the filter, air is coming out whenever the pump isn't building water pressure. There are also several bubbles coming from the tub drain.

Am I right in thinking the pump is taking on air somewhere? I don't have any experience with hot tub plumbing. I envision the suction side being the drain, tied to the skimmer and one of the suction fittings in the bottom of the tub, all meeting up in some sort of manifold and running to the pump. I don't know exactly where the ozonator injector is. I would think that I would have a pretty massive water leak if the drain was cracked or something. #2 pump seems to be working fine.

Just thought I'd run it by you guys and get some opinions before I begin tearing into the foam. SWMBO is starting to get worried by how much of a project this is becoming. Thanks!

That's what I was going to say - rule out that, and a dirty filter first. Look to see if you can observe air being drawn in anywhere.

HTH

B)

We'll send you the bill.

Oh wait! I meant: "glad we could help." Yeah, that's it. Glad we could help.

Enjoy!

B)