Borax/muriatic Acid Question

sl3238

Just did a fresh refill and about to try Borax for the first time ..I have a 465 Gal tub....According to the pool calculator i should be adding 21-22 oz. (BY VOLUME) of Borax to get to about 40ppm Borate level........The question is how much Muriatic Acid too add, BY VOLUME so that my PH remains stable???.....It Only shows how much BY WEIGHT to add and i have no means to weigh any chemicals ...

Thanks Parawood and Spanky...Seems like about half should do the trick but i"ll be purchasing that scale from Walmart just to make things precise...BTW, can i add the Borax at any time or should it only be done on a fresh refill???

If you use The Pool Calculator you will find that the volume of 20 Mule Team Borax that you use is roughly the same (just a little less) as its weight (both in ounces) since borax (in powdered form) is only a little more dense than water. Of course measuring weight using a scale would be the most accurate.

As far as I know, you can add anytime. I added after I filled by a few weeks the first time. Now I add on re fills. I also picked up some test strips for Borates, as much as I don't trust test strips, they seem to work OK. The pool calculator is a great tool.

The Proteam Borate test strips are good enough. With borates, you only need to be in the ballpark. There is a drop-based borate test (I have one) and I like it because I'm a pool nerd/geek, but for most people it would be overkill.

• 1 year later...

You can use dry acid, but that will build up sulfates. For a spa that may be OK, but sulfates above around 300 ppm are not good for plaster and may not be good for saltwater chlorine generators. If you have neither in your spa, then it should be OK.